Retrive from unformatted disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Buss

Hello.

I´ve just reinstalled my machine with XP. I put in the disc that i placed my backup on, and the explorer finds it just fine.
When i try to accsess it, it says "disc not formatted yet. Format now?"
I really dont wanna do that as all my stuff is on there.
Is there anyway around this?

Thanks

Is this a CD Disc or Flash Disk or Floppy disk (I have seen this on floppy many times)

If it's a CD then first try in another computer, then you might want to use a program like BadCopy Pro (it has a Free Trial Download - that you could at least check that it does find data)

HardDisk

No you probably don't want to format that then.
If it's an ATA (lots of pins at the back) make sure it's set to CS (Cable Select)
Also try another data cable.

Exactly how are you connecting it (via USB or connected directly to M/b - Sata? IDE?)

Its the one with the thin red cable (is it called SATA?). Its connected to the mobo, as is my first SATA disc with the OS on.

Since you did not have two drives to start with (as I understand you), it might simply need enabling either in the bios or with an XP driver. As explorer sees it but cannot access it, I assume the latter. Check the properties of your current main drive in device manager, and see if it has a driver or not. If it appears to, try the 'trouble-shooter' button on the general tab for the second device.

Proably it also needs the same or similar driver installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back