Reuse external as internal?

By fimbles
Oct 16, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I got a external dvd writer a couple of years ago, Its made by lacie but the actual sticker on the drive is lite-on it corp. The model number is SOHW-812S.

The drive is firewire and i have a firewire pci adapter in my pc. However after the drive bay refused to open, and a failed attempt at a repair in windows, and the same problem after a reboot, i think its dead. Im not sure if its the drive or the pci card and i dont have any friends with firewire to try out my drive.

I stripped the case off the external drive and was left with what looks like a perfectly normal internal drive. Or is it? can i just plug this in to my ide cable and see if is working to eliminate the drive or card dilemma?

Thanks in advance :)
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Yup, you can. Just make sure you set the jumper correctly.
  3. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,250   +135

cheers rik :)
  4. Rik

No problem, i know it works because i have done it myself.:)
  5. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,250   +135

Problem soved.. sort of... fitted the drive, no joy. After stripping even more casing off it i found evidence of a small fire on the circuit board. Dead drive :p
  6. Rik

Thats the problem with external enclosures, they tend to fry things.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.