Review of Asus S96J Notebook

By AtK SpAdE
Jul 11, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Review of Asus S96J Notebook, First review, Go easy on me.

Review Of Asus s96J.

I ordered this Laptop from 1toppc.com, after careful planning of my needs; They were

Mobility
    Small(er) size
    Decent performance

The s96j seemed to fit the bill. I got mine equipped with

2.13Ghz Intel Core Duo
    2GB DDR2 667Mhz (Corsair)
    X1600 256Mb Mobility
    80 GB 5200 RPM SATA Drive
    DVD +/- RW
    Intel Pro Wireless

_________________Pros of the Notebook_______________________________

-Price- I was really looking for value here. Finding that middle range where price meets performance was something that took me along to accomplish. For around 1600 USD this was a lot of notebook with not a lot of excess spending.

-Usability- I wanted a notebook that delivered both performance and ease of use. I needed good enough battery life, without settling for sub par gaming. Again, this was a very hard niche to find.

-Quality- This notebook is rock solid. The keyboard has very little give (just the way I like it) It doesn’t run too hot. The screen has very good color and response time. I have used CRT’s all my life, and this LCD blew them out of the water.

-Future Ready- With a Core Duo (Socket 479) this notebook is ready for multithreaded applications. Also, while it is not confirmed, the notebook is rumored to be Core 2 Duo ready (memrom)

__________Cons of the Notebook_____________________________________

-Battery Life- While it is not too bad, I do not get the 2 hours as told by Asus. I could look into getting a 12cell but I do have 2 batteries, which I recommend to anyone who is using the laptop for an extended amount of time.

-Cooling- When doing heavy work (Gaming) the CPU gets quite toasty, but not the notebook itself. I guess this is sort of expected with the conditions of a notebook.

-Speakers- Defiantly not a deal breaker, but the speakers on the laptop are horrible. I am not talking bad, rather, terrible. Listening to music via the built in speakers is not a option if you need quality.

Photos.
    [​IMG]
    Cpu Info

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cooling Setup
  2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,846

225 Views, and no comments, I guess thats good right?
  3. altheman

altheman Newcomer, in training Posts: 541

lol, nice review, simple but with pictures. Just one thing, your laptop fan looks quite similar to my own. I see you have one fan for both CPU and GPU. This is like mine. I would've prefered one with seperate fans, because if only the CPU gets hot, then the fan for both has to start again.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.