TechSpot

Rhino Shield makes Corning's Gorilla Glass up to five times stronger

By Matthew
Feb 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Corning's Gorilla Glass does a fine job of keeping smartphones relatively safe against typical bumps and scrapes, but given how common it is to hear about cracked displays, there's obviously plenty of room for improvement. Hoping to provide such an...

Read more

2. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Booster Posts: 204   +35

Instead of using kickstarter, why not take their product to Samsung, Apple, Nokia etc? I would rather license the tech for billions rather then hawk it at accessory stores for millions.

3. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 383   +70

Why did they keep a layer over the phone on the tests? I am not convinced until test it in real life scenarios.

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,505   +312

You really didn't read the article did you?

ghasmanjr likes this.
  5. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 383   +70

Screen protector my mistake lol

Burty117 likes this.
  6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,943   +380

The confusion is understandable as gorilla glass is mentioned in the title, leading readers to have an initial belief that it is somehow integrated into gorilla glass...when in reality this would be compatible with most glass (although it may have different strengths depending)

7. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

Will this mean that iphones will soon be able to withstand forces stronger than a light fart without breaking?

St1ckM4n likes this.
  8. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 536   +149

That's nice and all, but how does it handle a blow on the corner?

p51d007 likes this.
  9. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Booster Posts: 580   +98

The product might work great - time will tell - but the demonstration was a bit misleading (I'll assume it was unintentional).

Gorilla Glass (or any glass for that matter) is much stronger on it's surface vs on it's edge. For example, during the 'drop' test, the phones were all dropped flat on their screens. Most screens are broken when the phone lands on it's bezel.

Additionally, you can find plenty of YouTube torture videos that show Gorilla Glass sans and type of 'shield' that survive being beaten by a hammer perfectly fine.

Additionally, with the ball bearing drop, I suspect that the survivability of the glass has more to do with the lamination provided by the rhino shield. I would hazard a guess that a thick piece of tape would provide very similar 'protection'.

It's a well made video, but it is greatly lacking in any type of scientific merit. Rhino Shield may very well work great, but there needs to be a lot more data on comparison of no protection vs regular screen protector vs rhino shield. At least according to the demonstrations in the video, I'm not seeing anything that the rhino shield can do that a regular ol' screen protector can't do (for probably a lot cheaper).

10. p51d007

p51d007 TS Booster Posts: 333   +51

EXACTLY! A direct impact with Gorilla glass usually won't break it, but, as you've seen from numerous posts online, most of the damaged screens you see, the impact point is at the corner of the device. The other thing, 3 sheets of 20# paper may not seem thick, but, what kind of distortion is that going to cause the screen?

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

Nothing wrong with giving people peace of mind over their expensive investment and making a few bucks at the same time. That's capitalism folks.

12. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

let's call the mythbusters.

so with the protective layer, the screen can withstand some force coming from a hammer.
    I wonder if the phone case actually absorbs the force of impact from the test.

13. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TS Maniac Posts: 388

Rhino Shield is a screen protector dude. Watch the videos, and it's really that much apparent.

In fact one says Gorilla Glass 2 / Gorilla Glass 2 + Rhino Shield.

14. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Sounds very interesting!

15. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,814   +921

I'm still holding onto a healthy dose of skepticism until the BS, hype, and cutesy-pie power naming escalates to, "Titanium T-Rex Tooth", before I even consider thinking about it being "unbreakable".....:p

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.