RIAA hunts for creator of LimeWire Pirate Edition

Emil

Staff

The RIAA, a trade group for the major recording labels in the US, is unhappy with the launch of LimeWire Pirate Edition (LPE). LPE was created by an anonymous team that decided to resurrect the Gnutella-based file-sharing client after its creators had to shutdown the original LimeWire due to copyright law infringements. LPE is an improvement on the latest LimeWire 5.6 beta (released earlier this year, before LimeWire's demise): the Ask toolbar has been unbundled, dependencies on LimeWire LLC's servers have been removed, remote settings have been disabled, adware/spyware/advertising has been removed, and all the features of LimeWire Pro have been switched on for free.

"An anonymous developer calling himself or herself 'Meta Pirate' launched the website at https://metapirate.webs.com that provides users with several links to download the LimeWire Pirate Edition," the RIAA's attorneys said according to Ars Technica. "Press reports indicated that 'Meta Pirate' is either formerly or presently a Lime Wire employee. Plaintiffs requested expedited discovery to uncover the identity of 'Meta Pirate.'"

The RIAA has requested that LimeWire assist with the investigation and has issued a court order for MetaPirate's identity. LimeWire will likely comply, emphasize that it's not distributing any version of LimeWire, and point out that it has already issued a cease and desist letter to the hosting company of LPE.

"Speaking for myself, the motivation is to make RIAA lawyers cry into their breakfast cereal," MetaPirate told Ars Technica. "We cannot contest the court order while remaining anonymous," he said, "but our software remains available from The Pirate Bay and other sites." While MetaPirate's site has been taken down, he doesn't plan on giving up his identity as easily. "Good luck, I'm behind seven proxies."

Permalink to story.

haha! while I don't agree with what MetaPirate is doing, also dissagree more with what RIAA do these days so for once i think this is great that they are unable to find this guy!

Lol. Anything that causes the RIAA troubles and distress brings a warm fuzzy feeling to the cockles of my hear :D.

lol can't believe I just downloaded it Off techspot. Not really used limewird becuase of the virus's you can get but downloaded this for a LOL, sucks my ISP throttles the traffic, a song takes 30 mins to DL :(

I know, I downloaded it too. Then I thought to myself: Why? I haven't used Limewire years. This news still brings a smile to my face though.

Hahaha.....Good luck with that RIAA, even if you do find him (or her)..The head will just grow back.

What a complete waste of time and money.

Benny26 said:
Hahaha.....Good luck with that RIAA, even if you do find him (or her)..The head will just grow back.

What a complete waste of time and money.

Not just that Benny, since it has been released as freeware, and it is listed on Pirate Bay...its essientially for all intents and purposes a living piece of software. People will keep it alive, just to piss the RIAA off. Heck, they may even make it useful.

"Good luck, I'm behind seven proxies." . I genuinely laughed at this. I hope LPE keeps growing stronger. As vagrants just said, LPE is becoming a living piece of software, making it a real pain to kill off, even if they do discover who MetaPirate is. I say good luck to MetaPirate and anybody else who is giving the RIAA a headache.

My MetaPirate cheerfully wipe his *** with RIAA's court order!

I've never said such a thing about ANYONE or any group, corporation, etc... but I sincerely hope they all go broke and starve to death.

When file sharing; Napster & so on first came out I said "That's just plain wrong. Stealing artist's' work by downloading without paying..... THEFT pure and simple".
However, RIAA's reaction caused a 180 degree reversal in my thinking. If anyone ever DESERVED to be robbed blind it's them and all they represent. Suing school kids for their college money for cryin' out loud! SO foolish, short sighted, greedy and UNNECESSARY. They could have taken advantage of this technology a million different ways and profited handsomely. Instead they try to fight against technology & knowledge??? Put the genie back in the bottle as it were??? STOOPID! Lazy and enormously greedy. There was plenty to go around but they wanted everything to themselves so now they get close to nothing; destroying artists' earning potentials in the process.

I have vowed NEVER to BUY another CD, DVD or any other hard media nor pay for download solely because of their actions. From now on if artists want to get rich they'll have to go out on tour, play concerts and EARN it like the proverbial "Good Ole' Days". The only folks I feel sorry for are the record shop owners & employees. RIAA has their blood on they're hands. THEY'RE the ones who killed the industry not the file sharers.

SHARE THE FILES!!!!!! OPEN RESOURCE!!!!!!!

Anyone at all affiliated with RIAA or their ilk; STICK YOUR HEAD IN A PIG AND DIE DIE DIE!
May the little girl whose parents you ruined because she downloaded a Disney flick PISS HEARTILY ON YOUR UNATTENDED, FORGOTTEN, FORESAKEN GRAVES.
You are THE lowest form of human sewage that has ever cursed the Earth with your existence.

Thing is the artists don't really get rich with sales. The record company does. So I'm all for socking it to the man!

Back