Ridiculous slow downloads on new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new comp w/ the vista as OS.

My vista computer seems to be so much slower honestly. Everytime I go to download something I get like 50kb/s or 80 at the most no matter what I do.

For the last 3 days actually I have been getting disconnects or super slowdowns in my internet speed that are even worse. I couldnt load google or anything. All that really would work was my Teamspeak. This seems to have ended however, for today that is.

My general internet was running super slow too until I disabled phishing in the tools.

I have already done the reg-edit that fully opens your tcp from half, as well as setting up my static ip and port forwarding the programs that I tend to use alot.I checked the event viewer and noticed this warning as well.\

"TCP/IP has chosen to restrict the scale factor due to a network condition."

I could swear that my internet on my xp laptop had seemed to be definitely faster; though I cant be sure. I saw alot of people in assorted forums saying that once they had removed the windows updates their internet was quite considerably faster, and I had considered doing it myself.

Right now from speedtests I have a 2.6 mb/s download and 59 ms when I ping a station thats 100km's from me(though It always feels way slower in any downloads I do) and I am just wondering what else I can do w/ vista to improve my internet speed.

I have dsl but it feels more like dialup honestly. I see my speed in comparison to others in my area and it is so terrible.

People w/ the same isp as myself are getting 6.4 mb/s or 7.2mb/s while Im stuck at 2.6. My isp is Deutsch Telekom AG btw.

Im not sure if this is the right forum for this honestly as I just made this acct 5 minutes ago due to being just so fed up w/ it all. Its based on my os I think though. Anyways anyone who could help me out would be appreciated.

Hello, I am currently running windows vista on this new system of mine and I am just so tired of the ridiculously slow speeds. I had tried disabling the ipv6 under network properties and everything.

Using speed test I get 1.40 mb/s download, 57 ms, and .36mb/s upload.I would post the image save that I dont have 5 posts yet, and apparently you cant link images or links until you do. DSL is what I have btw, but it has the speed of dialup it seems.

I currently live in Germany and that test was w/ a server 100km's away only. In comparison to others w/ my isp they all seem to have about 7mb/s.

I had noticed a couple people saying that their internet was much faster after removing their windows updates which I have honestly considered. The only thing is I wouldnt know which ones to remove; there are security ones as well as normal ones.

Right now Im toying w/ the idea of going to a system restore point that would be before the updates were installed.

Please someone give me a few ideas, I am so sick of these speeds.

Hmm, apparently my question isnt really all that interesting as I notice the low view count in comparison to the other newer threads. However, I would really appreciate someone's help on this issue.

I remember at one point having my windows downloader to normally doing about 160-200 mb/s; now its 30, and its been that way for a while.

Someone please give me some suggestions. Hell, point me to another forum even if you know of one that knows alot about optimizing your connection.

Download and burn a copy of Knoppix onto CD. Then boot from CD

Knoppix gives you a complete operating environment under Linux. Simply retest the speed connection using the SAME internet connection and the SAME computer hardware but a DIFFERENT operating system. This will at least isolate the problem to Vista or not.

btw... when Knoppix starts, just let it start with all default values at first (is usually sufficient to get it to boot successfully)

Post your results and we can take it from there...

"I recently bought a new comp w/ the vista as OS"...
What is this new computer's make and model? You might add some more complete specs too. Is Vista updated to Service Pack 1?

Tried updating your motherboard chipset drivers? Also, check if new drivers are available for your NIC, if you are not using the onboard ethernet ports.

I actually am using the oboard internet and dont have a separate network card. Though I have already checked for an update for the onboard that I have.

How do I update my chipset drivers? Is that under the device manager? Anyways I went under device manager and checked my cpu. It's driver is current.

My specs btw are

Intel Quad core 2.4Ghz
2 gig ram
2 512 mb vids

Go to the motherboard manufacturers support website and download the chipset drivers and/or NIC divers for your model motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back