RIM: BlackBerry PlayBook now priced at $299 for all models

By Jos
Jan 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Following up from what can only be described as a lousy year for RIM, the Canadian firm has kicked off 2012 with a new round of BlackBerry PlayBook discounts. From…

Read the whole story
  2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,364   +260

And I STILL won't buy one, Am i right in saying they still don't have a native email client built in?
  3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

And they probably never will, this move would indicate they're giving up.

Anyway it's still more expensive than a Kindle Fire and not as good.
  4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,364   +260

Thanks for clearing that up, i was under the assumption they would have updated it to have an email client by now but I guess I wasn't mistaken. Why RIM, why do you release a tablet without an email client? I mean, come on!
  5. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 880   +52

They're supposedly releasing a major software update in Feburary and native email is one of the rumored features.
  6. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

I wouldn't buy it even if it was $49.99. It just seems they are not even trying. I do not support companies that don't support their products.
  7. ok....so why would i buy a 16 gig for 299 when i can get a 32 gig for 299......seems like somone at RIM isnt thinking with thier dipstick....
  8. Butch

Butch TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 112

I bought one of these over the holidays for $199. I really liked the device itself. It was fast and it felt great in my hands and I liked the OS better than my Ipad or my Toshiba Thrive . But the lack of apps and native email was a deal killer and I returned it. However, I will say that I had the Blackberry Bridge setup with my BB Torch phone and it worked flawlessly but the idea of having to have my phone within bluetooth range all the time was a pain. I still hope RIM can pull something out of their hat to save themselves but I think its all but over for them. End of an era.
  9. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,062   +69

Better still, why would you buy a 32GB for $299, when you could buy a 64GB for $299? :p
  10. RIM is doing quite well for itself outside the USA. Same as Nokia really so all the doom and gloom adds up to nothing.
  11. Butch

Butch TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 112

That's good to hear but the "doom and gloom" seems justified when you look at RIM stock.
  12. I bought a 32 gig Playbook in December and I find it a more convenient and ergonomic device compared to the iPad. There are fewer app's that what are availabe for the iPad, but I think that's a situation that will improve with time and the ones that are available are enough to keep me using the device. In fact, I use the device every day.

One interesting note, is that it tethers to my iPhone so when WiFi is not available, I have access to the Internet where-ever I go.

Another nice feature that I really like, is that I can transfer files between my laptop and my Playbook by mounting it as a drive using WiFi or via a USB cable. With the iPad, it's not as easy, as I have to use iTunes software for this purpose and it's nowhere near as easy and convenient.

I may be in the minority, but overall, I like the Playbook a lot more than the iPad.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.