TechSpot

RIM: BlackBerry PlayBook now priced at $299 for all models

By Jos
Jan 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Following up from what can only be described as a lousy year for RIM, the Canadian firm has kicked off 2012 with a new round of BlackBerry PlayBook discounts. From…

Read the whole story

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,831   +587

And I STILL won't buy one, Am i right in saying they still don't have a native email client built in?

3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

And they probably never will, this move would indicate they're giving up.

Anyway it's still more expensive than a Kindle Fire and not as good.

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,831   +587

Thanks for clearing that up, i was under the assumption they would have updated it to have an email client by now but I guess I wasn't mistaken. Why RIM, why do you release a tablet without an email client? I mean, come on!

5. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 984   +86

They're supposedly releasing a major software update in Feburary and native email is one of the rumored features.

6. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

I wouldn't buy it even if it was $49.99. It just seems they are not even trying. I do not support companies that don't support their products.

7. ok....so why would i buy a 16 gig for 299 when i can get a 32 gig for 299......seems like somone at RIM isnt thinking with thier dipstick....

8. Butch

Butch TS Enthusiast Posts: 112

I bought one of these over the holidays for $199. I really liked the device itself. It was fast and it felt great in my hands and I liked the OS better than my Ipad or my Toshiba Thrive . But the lack of apps and native email was a deal killer and I returned it. However, I will say that I had the Blackberry Bridge setup with my BB Torch phone and it worked flawlessly but the idea of having to have my phone within bluetooth range all the time was a pain. I still hope RIM can pull something out of their hat to save themselves but I think its all but over for them. End of an era.

9. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,098   +94

Better still, why would you buy a 32GB for $299, when you could buy a 64GB for $299? :p

10. RIM is doing quite well for itself outside the USA. Same as Nokia really so all the doom and gloom adds up to nothing.

11. Butch

Butch TS Enthusiast Posts: 112

That's good to hear but the "doom and gloom" seems justified when you look at RIM stock.

12. I bought a 32 gig Playbook in December and I find it a more convenient and ergonomic device compared to the iPad. There are fewer app's that what are availabe for the iPad, but I think that's a situation that will improve with time and the ones that are available are enough to keep me using the device. In fact, I use the device every day.

One interesting note, is that it tethers to my iPhone so when WiFi is not available, I have access to the Internet where-ever I go.

Another nice feature that I really like, is that I can transfer files between my laptop and my Playbook by mounting it as a drive using WiFi or via a USB cable. With the iPad, it's not as easy, as I have to use iTunes software for this purpose and it's nowhere near as easy and convenient.

I may be in the minority, but overall, I like the Playbook a lot more than the iPad.