RIM: BlackBerry PlayBook now priced at $299 for all models

Jos

Following up from what can only be described as a lousy year for RIM, the Canadian firm has kicked off 2012 with a new round of BlackBerry PlayBook discounts. From now until February 4, or until inventory runs out, all models of the beleaguered tablet will cost $299 in the U.S. Previous prices were $499 for 16GB, $599 for 32GB and $699 for 64GB so you'd be getting up to $400 off if you can get a hold of the larger model.

We should note that while this is the lowest price the company has ever sold the 32GB and 64GB versions of the device for, holiday sales saw the 16GB PlayBook fall to as low as $199.

The company had high expectations for the PlayBook but it just wasn’t meant to be. RIM reportedly shipped 500,000 tablets in the first quarter it was available, 250,000 more the following quarter and only 150,000 in the next. That is a far cry from the 1 million units the company had estimated to ship in January. The latest move comes as the company attempts to offset a recent $485 million charge against revenues on unsold stock.

But even at the new price point the BlackBerry maker may face some hurdles in getting the PlayBook into the hands of consumers. Not only are a flood of new tablet announcements expected at CES by the end of this week, but Amazon's Kindle Fire has proven to be a sales hit at $200, and despite being a less technically powerful device it provides access to a wider range of Amazon content and apps.

Permalink to story.

And I STILL won't buy one, Am i right in saying they still don't have a native email client built in?

burty117 said:
And I STILL won't buy one, Am i right in saying they still don't have a native email client built in?

And they probably never will, this move would indicate they're giving up.

Anyway it's still more expensive than a Kindle Fire and not as good.

Thanks for clearing that up, i was under the assumption they would have updated it to have an email client by now but I guess I wasn't mistaken. Why RIM, why do you release a tablet without an email client? I mean, come on!

They're supposedly releasing a major software update in Feburary and native email is one of the rumored features.

I wouldn't buy it even if it was $49.99. It just seems they are not even trying. I do not support companies that don't support their products.

ok....so why would i buy a 16 gig for 299 when i can get a 32 gig for 299......seems like somone at RIM isnt thinking with thier dipstick....

I bought one of these over the holidays for $199. I really liked the device itself. It was fast and it felt great in my hands and I liked the OS better than my Ipad or my Toshiba Thrive . But the lack of apps and native email was a deal killer and I returned it. However, I will say that I had the Blackberry Bridge setup with my BB Torch phone and it worked flawlessly but the idea of having to have my phone within bluetooth range all the time was a pain. I still hope RIM can pull something out of their hat to save themselves but I think its all but over for them. End of an era.

Guest said:
ok....so why would i buy a 16 gig for 299 when i can get a 32 gig for 299......seems like somone at RIM isnt thinking with thier dipstick....

Better still, why would you buy a 32GB for $299, when you could buy a 64GB for $299? :p

RIM is doing quite well for itself outside the USA. Same as Nokia really so all the doom and gloom adds up to nothing.

Guest said:
RIM is doing quite well for itself outside the USA. Same as Nokia really so all the doom and gloom adds up to nothing.

That's good to hear but the "doom and gloom" seems justified when you look at RIM stock.

I bought a 32 gig Playbook in December and I find it a more convenient and ergonomic device compared to the iPad. There are fewer app's that what are availabe for the iPad, but I think that's a situation that will improve with time and the ones that are available are enough to keep me using the device. In fact, I use the device every day.

One interesting note, is that it tethers to my iPhone so when WiFi is not available, I have access to the Internet where-ever I go.

Another nice feature that I really like, is that I can transfer files between my laptop and my Playbook by mounting it as a drive using WiFi or via a USB cable. With the iPad, it's not as easy, as I have to use iTunes software for this purpose and it's nowhere near as easy and convenient.

I may be in the minority, but overall, I like the Playbook a lot more than the iPad.

Back