RIM has weak second quarter, third quarter looking iffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Research In Motion had a worse-than-predicted second quarter, and the current period doesn't look especially solid either. Earnings fell to $475.6 million or $.83 per share during the period ending August -- much less than the $1 per share analysts foresaw. This compares to $495.5 million or $.86 per share in the year-ago period.

Meanwhile, revenue rose 37% to $3.53 billion from $2.58 billion during the second quarter, and RIM is predicting it to be in the range of $3.6 billion to $3.85 billion for the present quarter -- shy of the $3.95 billion analysts were expecting.

The handset-maker is looking to ship between 9.2 million and 9.9 million new phones in the current period, as it attempts to expand beyond the corporate scene and snag a piece of the consumer market. The company reportedly held 55% of the US smartphone market share this June, compared to 40% from six months prior.

Permalink to story.

I wish people would do a little bit of research. $.83 is due to lawsuit settlement charge otherwise it would be $1.03 - oh well apparently growth in 20%+ in no longer worth anything

Yep, it's all in the original article sourced -- a loss is a loss my friend. None of the numbers reported here are wrong, if you can show otherwise, I'll gladly adjust the article accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back