RIM launching PlayBook without native email, messaging?

Jos

Staff

BlackBerry's native email application and instant messaging support are arguably they two key features to RIM’s success in the smartphone market. You'd think the company would leverage these strength with the release of their first ever tablet, the BlackBerry PlayBook, but apparently they won't even be present at launch.

According to a leaked internal document, as reported by Wired, the device will ship without native support for e-mail, contacts or messaging and those features will remain unavailable until a future software update. Instead, in order to actually write an email, for example, you would need to use web-based clients or connect your PlayBook tablet to a BlackBerry handset via a BlueTooth link program called BlackBerry Bridge.

Apparently the functionality is not ready for the new QNX-based operating system but RIM is pushing the release of the tablet anyway to get the sales rolling. The company is also not expected to have a 3G version of the PlayBook at launch, and has yet to finish the software development kit (SDK) that will allow developers to write native apps. On the upside, the company has revealed that its upcoming tablet will be able to run Android apps.

The PlayBook is slated to launch in the U.S. and Canada on April 19 with the Wi-Fi model that is launching initially priced at $499, $599, and $699 for 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB, respectively, right in line with the equivalent iPad 2 models.

Permalink to story.

Soo...basically they're pushing out a product that isn't even finished? Sounds about right as most software venders are doing this these days.

lack of copy and paste from the jump, on iPhone and WP7 comes to mind. what is wrong with technology? its like it doesn't even want to be consistent. but hey, slap a $500 price tag on it anyway.

This has been the most overhyped tablets in the market, it was officially announced last September, RIM executives love bragging about it, every other month they add support for another SDK (Android, Adobe AIR and native?) but still they haven't shown any real demos.

And having 3 SDKs will surely be a pleasure for User Experience, I really hope RIM has somehow managed to make those 3 development kits interfaces a little bit consistent otherwise it will be a mess.

While I like the idea of this tablet a lot more than the ipad, it's disturbing that it doesn't even support the most basic of features... email... Come on RIM, step it up.

What are they thinking! These are arguably the most important integrated features in a table aside from a desktop browsing experience. All I can say is, let the early adopters pass! The Android compatablity I must give them a thumbs up. Actually, for all headset companies that are using another OS, I think virtual machining Android to allow Android apps to run would be a great adition to any platforms repertoire.

I thought it was said it would have to be connected to a Blackberry phone at all times. I guess RIM changed course, perhaps why the issues.

That's it, I've been waiting for the playbook but all I hear is crap, i'm picking up an iPad 2. They have been working on this product since before iPad 1 was launched and they still can't even release a proper product.

Have y'all even read RIMs PlayBook announcements in the past, or demostration videos have you not seen? For as long as I remember hearing about the PlayBook this has been the plan.... for security reasons. The PB will tether to your BB (that you are alreadying paying the data plan for, so you don't have to pay for a second one) in order to get its 3G connection (WiFi is also available). Since it doesn't have a built in modem, if it becomes lost and has its own local copy of your emails, there is no way for your companies' IT department to send a BES command to lock, wipe or track the location of the device...

If you are within bluetooth range of your BB, you can in real time view your email, BBMs, text messages, calendar, etc.

How about do some research before you start rumors.
Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hz3pMLWTNU

Back