RIM launching PlayBook without native email, messaging?

By Jos
Apr 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. BlackBerry's native email application and instant messaging support are arguably they two key features to RIM’s success in the smartphone market. You'd think the company would leverage these strength with the release of their first ever tablet, the BlackBerry PlayBook, but apparently they won't even be present at launch.

Read the whole story
  2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,365   +260

Soo...basically they're pushing out a product that isn't even finished? Sounds about right as most software venders are doing this these days.
  3. Jurassic4096

Jurassic4096 Banned Posts: 158

lack of copy and paste from the jump, on iPhone and WP7 comes to mind. what is wrong with technology? its like it doesn't even want to be consistent. but hey, slap a $500 price tag on it anyway.
  4. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

This has been the most overhyped tablets in the market, it was officially announced last September, RIM executives love bragging about it, every other month they add support for another SDK (Android, Adobe AIR and native?) but still they haven't shown any real demos.

And having 3 SDKs will surely be a pleasure for User Experience, I really hope RIM has somehow managed to make those 3 development kits interfaces a little bit consistent otherwise it will be a mess.
  5. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,062   +69

While I like the idea of this tablet a lot more than the ipad, it's disturbing that it doesn't even support the most basic of features... email... Come on RIM, step it up.
  6. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 486   +10

What are they thinking! These are arguably the most important integrated features in a table aside from a desktop browsing experience. All I can say is, let the early adopters pass! The Android compatablity I must give them a thumbs up. Actually, for all headset companies that are using another OS, I think virtual machining Android to allow Android apps to run would be a great adition to any platforms repertoire.
  7. dotVezz

dotVezz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

*facepalm*
  8. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 744   +14

I thought it was said it would have to be connected to a Blackberry phone at all times. I guess RIM changed course, perhaps why the issues.
  9. supertech

supertech TechSpot Member Posts: 72   +7

That's it, I've been waiting for the playbook but all I hear is crap, i'm picking up an iPad 2. They have been working on this product since before iPad 1 was launched and they still can't even release a proper product.
  10. Have y'all even read RIMs PlayBook announcements in the past, or demostration videos have you not seen? For as long as I remember hearing about the PlayBook this has been the plan.... for security reasons. The PB will tether to your BB (that you are alreadying paying the data plan for, so you don't have to pay for a second one) in order to get its 3G connection (WiFi is also available). Since it doesn't have a built in modem, if it becomes lost and has its own local copy of your emails, there is no way for your companies' IT department to send a BES command to lock, wipe or track the location of the device...

If you are within bluetooth range of your BB, you can in real time view your email, BBMs, text messages, calendar, etc.

How about do some research before you start rumors.
    Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hz3pMLWTNU

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.