TechSpot

RIM: Six BlackBerry 10 devices set for Q1 2013 launch

By Leeky
Sep 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Research in Motion has revealed it is preparing six new BlackBerry smartphones to launch with its new mobile OS early next year, according to a report by Pocket-lint. Two of the new BlackBerry 10 smartphones will compete at the top-end of...

Read more

2. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 546   +149

Hmmm... I hope there is a smaller QWERTY one for that launch...

3. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 529   +88

This will be there last chance to stop tanking.

4. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +99

I agree veLa. They're on thin ice right now having delayed BB10 twice. If these new phones and its new OS aren't a success I fear RIM will potentially go out of business as their rivals build an even bigger lead. It doesn't look good right now, that's for sure.

5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Having bought a BB PlayBook recently it's kind of obvious why RIM is tanking. It's well built and with the new OS 2.0 it's a great piece of kit but it took months and months before the proper features came out (email, calendar, Android apps etc.) Unfortunately I'm getting the same kind of vibe from these BB 10 phones... delay after delay and falling behind the competitors.

6. Does blackberry will also issued another (new) Porsche design as well?

7. SLH28,

While I agree with half of your point, regarding the Playbook (I have one, it's awesome, but lagging in terms of apps), I disagree with your idea that BB10 will suffer from the same shortages.

You should know that RIM is doing everything they can to have a massive app database for when BB10 becomes active.

That's the entire point of their new turnaround, or their, at least, attempt at one; they are doing everything they can to have a rich app ecosystem for when BB10 launces. Blackberry Jams have been happening all over the world this summer for that very reason.

I would be surprised if the reason they fail is because of a lack of apps in BB10.

If they fail after BB10, it will be because of the damage already done to them, BEFORE Heinz took over the reigns from those two, ego-maniac CEOs, not because BB10 was lacking in any way.

8. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I'll believe it when I see it. The App World is anaemic compared to iOS and Android and it's not just the quantity of apps either - the prices for paid apps are ridiculous, e.g. £5 for Angry Birds which is £0.69 on iOS and free on Android.

I really do hope they turn it around though, was a big fan of their devices before the iPhone came along.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.