Ripping Music DVD to mp3

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpticalOrange99

Hey.

My dad got a Timeless Classics (or something) DVD for Christmas/his Birthday a year or two ago. He doesn't watch TV much so he's not around a DVD player that often. He wants to listen to it on his mp3 player that we got this Christmas for him. So I offered to rip the DVD and turn each "symphony" or whatever they're called, into an *.mp3. But I've only been able to turn each title track on the DVD (Composers), and not the chapters (symphonies) into *.mp3's. I'm using Xilisoft DVD Ripper Platinum.

So I have 16 *.mp3's now, one for each composer. I guess it's fine that way. But still these *.mp3's are 1 hour+. Is there a program that can detect the pause between each symphony within these *.mp3's and split them up further so there'll be one *.mp3 per symphony, rather than the current 1 *.mp3 per composer?

In Xilisoft DVD Ripper it seemed like there was only an option (when you were ripping to the *.mp3 format at least) to turn the Title Tracks into *.mp3's. You couldn't turn the constituent chapters in the title tracks to *.mp3's.

So is there a program that can split these mega-tracks up further? Like one that can detect the pauses or something in between the songs?

mp3splt is what you need.

From the project page:
If you want to split an album, you can select split points and filenames manually or you can get them automatically from CDDB (internet or a local file) or from .cue files. Supports also automatic silence split, that can be used also to adjust cddb/cue splitpoints.

If you have the exact chapter points, you could put them into a .cue file.

Jesse_hz said:
No problem.

Hope you figure out how to use it.

I tried the silence splitting. Didn't work out too well. But that doesn't mean the program is poor quality. It looks excellent, it's just Classical Music (like what I'm trying to split) tends to have lots of silence in it. Sadly that means splitting this automatically using the silence detection splitter is going to be impossible.

But thanks for the link to this program. I'll probably have to do the manual splitting.

Isn't there a Windows version or equivalent program to dvdxchap?

Would be a lot easier to extract a list chapters than do it manually.

taken from the gentoo wiki:
dvdxchap -t ${TRACK} /dev/dvd > ${RIPPATH}chapters.txt

Jesse_hz said:
Isn't there a Windows version or equivalent program to dvdxchap?

Would be a lot easier to extract a list chapters than do it manually.

taken from the gentoo wiki:
dvdxchap -t ${TRACK} /dev/dvd > ${RIPPATH}chapters.txt

Maybe. But Xilisoft DVD Ripper might have a way of ripping the chapters to *.mp3's rather than just the titles, too. I'll check tomorrow. Hopefully it does.

download and run ripit4me. You will need the subprograms and decoders. They are difficult to find.

Tedster said:
download and run ripit4me. You will need the subprograms and decoders. They are difficult to find.

I got DVD Decrypter and RipIt4Me and installed both of them. So I run Ripit4me in 1-click Mode and have it rip the DVD to a certain directory? Then Do I use DVD Shrink, is it? Is that what will change them from ts_video to *.mp3's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back