Rj45 splitter problem?

jsmileb

I bought an RJ45 splitter from Cables To Go. I installed it on one of the out ports on a Linksys 4-port wireless router. I have all the other ports in use, and just wanted to hook in two computers that will never be in use at the same time. One of the out pots on the splitter works fine, the other will not allow a connection. I found a website that offers instructions for building a splitter and the wiring diagram from the website matches the diagram that appears on the back of the CtoG splitter. Also, a description of the use of the homemade splitter seems to be exactly what I am trying to do. I have considered two possibilities, one being that the CtoG splitter is just bad. I also got to thinking that the wired ports on the router may already be "split". Anyone have any suggestions?

37133a.jpg

CAT5E-04-SPLITADAPT_extra2.jpg

hmm; you would be better off geting a cheap hub.

With the 'splitter' or a hub connected to a router, there's an issue that you may not be aware of - - IP address conflicts.

A major point of a router is to ensure each device gets a unique IP address assignment (using the DHCP feature). With a splitter (or hub), all connections see all the traffic so DHCP is ineffective. The only way to still use them is to have the connected devices
manually configured for all the TCP settings.

Back