TechSpot

Roadrunner supercomputer used to monitor nuclear stockpile retired

By Shawn Knight
Apr 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A supercomputer that was once the fastest in the world was shut down over the weekend. Known as Roadrunner, the system went online five years ago at the Los Alamos National Laboratory to monitor the United States’ nuclear weapons stockpile.

Read more

2. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,933   +126 Staff Member

When saying "to monitor the United States? nuclear weapons stockpile." I first thought this was an April fool's joke.
    But reading up I understand better what is meant, I would use the wording "Nuclear Testing System" myself, but maybe that's just because I don't speak English natively ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockpile_stewardship

3. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 533   +88

It's shame that it's going offline. Even at its age it could still be used for any number of computing tasks that require that sort of hardware might.

4. "The system will be dismantled in about a month but until then, researchers will be allowed to run experiments on the OS’ memory compression techniques to help build more efficient supercomputers in the future"

I guess it would be nice if they allow to some overclocker to run experiments breaking the record, or give it to hardcore-gamer to put it into the test running crysis at highest setting :D

5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

RIP Roadrunner.

6. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 376   +43

I'm sure there is already a new system that is going to take its place that may use parallel computing with GPUs to raise the performance by a factor of 10.

7. DarkDragon7

DarkDragon7 TS Rookie

I guess it would be nice if they allow to some overclocker to run experiments breaking the record, or give it to hardcore-gamer to put it into the test running crysis at highest setting :D[/quote]

I really agree with you and especially I would like to see a test for Metro 2033

8. yRaz

yRaz TS Maniac Posts: 1,044   +159

while that's true, these things use so much power that it gets cheaper to upgrade to more efficient hardware very quickly.

9. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,980   +393

I know...but to dismantle it? im sure some private billionare buyer somewhere in the world would love that thing. If I had the money, I would gladly buy that, as im sure many of you would.

10. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Except you cannot do anything on it...

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,425   +822

It's about time they retired it. Commissioned in 2009 means that it stretches back to the stone age. If they waited any longer the next generation of cell phones would have outperformed it such is the advances in computer hardware.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.