Robot uses Kinect to see the world, obey your commands

Emil

Staff

Philipp Robbel, a PhD student at MIT's Personal Robotics Group, has combined the Kinect motion controller with an iRobot Create platform to create a battery powered robot that can see its environment and obey your gestured commands, according to Singulariy Hub. He used simultaneous localization and mapping code from OpenSLAM.org, some visualization packets from the Mobile Robot Programming Toolkit, and his own interaction, human detection, and gesture code.

Robbel's creation can generate detailed 3D maps of its surroundings and wirelessly send them to a host computer. It can also detect nearby humans and track their movements to understand where they want it to go. Robbel's research is aimed at creating a team of robots that could work together and find missing or trapped humans. Robbel admits there's some concerns over whether or not a distressed person's gesture commands should be obeyed but he believes there's potential for a robot that found one victim could use their motions to find the next one more quickly.

Kinect has grabbed the attention of hackers trying to enable its motion-sensing capabilities in environments that don't include an Xbox. The result has been open source Kinect drivers, multitouch capabilities, interaction with Windows 7 and Mac OS X, and 3D camera applications. Now we've got robotics. What's next?

Permalink to story.

Kinect is so much more useful in everything except for the xbox. I dont like the idea for the 360, nor do i think there will be many good games with it, but besides that, kinect is awesome and id like one for my lappy :)

I think MS is going to need to jump on this thing like crazy before other companies start churning out copycats. They really need to put out a version for PCs that enables motion control of your desktop and programs.

This thing would be amazing for HTPCs, you'd eliminate the need for a keyboard, mouse and remote.

Here is one sort of funny clip I initially noticed at guru3d, but the makers i.e. g4tv removed it from youtube (according to guru3d)....... anyway you can still have a look at their site, but it is for 18+ only. I guess they are sort of having fun at kinect's cost though.

What's next? Anyone watch any of th Terminator movies or The Sarah Conner Chronicles?

Look how laggy it went when it was tracking the movement haha =/

But thi is very clever, now design a decent robot based on the human body and not some 'clunky' 60's robot and then put AI like this in it = good result =P

Johny47 said:
Look how laggy it went when it was tracking the movement haha =/

But thi is very clever, now design a decent robot based on the human body and not some 'clunky' 60's robot and then put AI like this in it = good result =P

& that's when SkyNet was born. i'll be Back.. with the next installment........

What's next? Anyone watch any of th Terminator movies or The Sarah Conner Chronicles?
I did, and I bought the SCC DVDs, both seasons.

Plus, I just ordered season 2 of Dollhouse. Would Kinect get Eliza Dushku to do what I want her to do?

May be you need to write some code, which enables Kinect to do or get done what you 'think, and want' to be done. Speaking of which, I wonder if pron industry likes some sort of kinect application considering the above video I linked. :rolleyes:

Thank the heavens the Kinect isn't Steve Jobs / Apples toy or the corporate police would be knocking at the doors of the developers and shutting them down. I hope Microsoft lets people role with their ideas and possibly develop even greater devices. Imagine tapping into the brightest minds all over the world to develop this and any new technology. When you think about the infinite minds that you can reach with open source collaboration it is mind boggling. No longer do we have to rely on a finite amount of graduates from fancy pants schools working in the corporate environment to come up with new ideas.

Guest said:
Thank the heavens the Kinect isn't Steve Jobs / Apples toy or the corporate police would be knocking at the doors of the developers and shutting them down. I hope Microsoft lets people role with their ideas and possibly develop even greater devices. Imagine tapping into the brightest minds all over the world to develop this and any new technology. When you think about the infinite minds that you can reach with open source collaboration it is mind boggling. No longer do we have to rely on a finite amount of graduates from fancy pants schools working in the corporate environment to come up with new ideas.

thats why copyright and patents kills evolution..

Back