Router buying advice

By samnorr
Oct 15, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am looking to buy a wireless router, but I have not used one before, and am a bit lost as to knowing what one to get.

It will be used to connect to my PC and Xbox 360 via a wired connection and PS3 and PSP via wireless. It has to be compatible with both XP and Vista, and be less than $150.

I don't want a router with an ADSL modem built in, as I have a wireless broadband internet connection. And is it worth getting an 802.11n router, even if none of my devices support that standard? Would it still give faster speeds?

I really don't know which brand offers the best reliability and performance, so it would be a big help to get a recommendation from someone who knows about routers.

One that caught my eye was the Gigabyte AirCruiser, but it is a bit dated and doesn't say it works with Vista (which I will need if I upgrade my PC).

If anyone knows of the best router that fits my criteria, I would be very grateful for any advice. :)
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

What router did you end up buying?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.