Router internet vs. Cable-Modem Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have just recently moved out of my house and into my friend's apartment. At my house, my PC was constantly connected to a router in order to gain internet access (Verizon Fios/Time Warner/Comcast were the ISPs I have used on it) and now I am trying to make my internet work at this apartment (Time Warner) but I am trying to plug my ethernet cable into the Cable-Modem. I get "Limited or no connectivity" and I'm guessing it's just a configuration problem since my PC is probably still attached to the router-issued IP addresses or something?

I can't buy a router yet, and I'm hoping to be able to use this internet by plugging into the cable modem. It works for my friend's PC just fine, and that's why I believe that the problem lies within my transistion from router to modem.

Please give me any advice you can, I'm very good with computers and I can understand almost all "tech" talk as some would say. Thanks!:haha:

Update* I tried ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew .. on renew it failed to contact DHCP server

Assuming you have Windows XP SP2.
Have you tried the Network Setup Wizard in the Control Panel?

When the wizard asks you to 'Select a Connection Method', select <Other>
The next screen is for 'Other Internet connection methods', select <This computer connects directly to the Internet. I do not have a network yet.>

Hope this helps.

Something that is also easy and quick to check is whether your Ethernet cable is working. Swap in a known, working Ethernet cable to make sure that the one that you are using right now is not the problem. If you do not have another Ethernet cable, perhaps you could borrow your friend's for testing.

TechMaGiK said:
Update* I tried ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew .. on renew it failed to contact DHCP server
Given post #1-2, you appear to
now have a new environment. DID YOU GET A NEW ROUTER?
post make/model number
ensure it is supplying the DHCP for IP and DNS
ensure your system is looking for DHCP for IP + DNS

Assuming the cable modem is functioning properly, you may need a crossover cable instead of a patch cable to plug a PC directly into it. Call your ISP and ask them if this is the case. If not, they should be able to support you otherwise - usually, they can have a technician come onsite and make sure it is working before they leave.

Soul Harvester
I thought a crossover cable was only used when you go directly from an Ethernet card in one PC to an Ethernet card in another PC. In other words, connecting two PCs together without a network.

There are many devices which will require a crossover cable to connect to in the abscence of a device that can handle it for you. Some cable modems and various other internet CPEs are like this. Examples include Soekris and WRAP based units with standard Intel NICs inside.

It's just a suggestion.

was the old setup a static one or dynamic
if static set to dynamic
if dynamic disable nic turn off modem
turn modem back on re-enable nic
if that does not work ,you may want to try removing the device(nic) and reinstall

My understanding is that most new modems, routers, switches, etc., are auto-sensing regarding the type of Ethernet cable and you can actually use either a crossover or straight-through and the device will automatically compensate. Only pretty old devices still require a particular flavor these days.

NetCablesPlus said:
My understanding is that most new modems, routers, switches, etc., are auto-sensing regarding the type of Ethernet cable and you can actually use either a crossover or straight-through and the device will automatically compensate. Only pretty old devices still require a particular flavor these days.
Strongly agree :giddy: It's very rare that a crossover is the SOLE solution.

Of course, the nature of my business (selling cables) means that I tend to hear from people who have problems with their cables so YMMV with my observations; however, the crimp on cables are prone to failure from repeated plugging and unplugging. In fact, I have some big customers (IT managers at good-sized companies) who will not re-use a cable that has been unplugged from their servers, patch panels, etc., simply because they are afraid one of the hundreds involved will go bad and then he will have to figure out which one it is. Replaces all of them with new cables. I love that type of guy, of course... :)

Please be aware that using a NAT router is SUBSTANTIALLY more secure than connecting your machine directly to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back