Router networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
iv posted this in many forums including this, but havent got a good answer...
now i really want to know frm u guys... PLEASE HELP ME GUYS

my isp provides broadband internet and they use a MAC address to specify each pc (thats what they said), so they said that technically we dont need an ip to connect. But we have a username and password to connect.

I have one desktop pc(xp) and one laptop (vista). I has my line's username and pass and also a username and pass and MAC of a friend of mine (which i stole!!).

Normallly, i am able to connect with my friends line by changing the mac and user/pass. But i wanna be able to use my line (i,e, my user/pass) on desktop and his my friends user/pass/MAC on my laptop.

I have a SURECOM EP-4904SX router and several crossover cables at my home. But i dont know the bits of how to connect these two pcs.

HOW DO I DO IT??

p.s. While i was browsing all these stuff, i came up to something called port forwarding? what is it? and is it required? can i do it?
i.e. I kinda download stuff a lot and also torrents.

I really wana get this home network running pretty quick. Can sumone please help me so i can also imply the same technique in my Dad's office as well...

hobilla

Well, first of all, who is your ISP, because going off of MAC addresses are kinda....weird. Most ISP providers that use usernames and passwords use what is called PPPOE (similar to SBC/ATT). If this is the case, then you should be able to configure that in your router and then just hook up both pc's to the router with just regular straight-through cat5 cables.

im in Bangladesh. So u wont know my isp. But how do i do the router configurations???
i can go to the router wit 192.168.1.1
then, there are many settings, i dont know what to do??
help

my isp provides broadband internet and they use a MAC address to specify each pc (thats what they said),
so they said that technically we dont need an ip to connect. But we have a username and password to connect.
humbug; ALL connections are via IP addresses
Well, first of all, who is your ISP, because going off of MAC addresses are kinda....weird.
not really. A great many ISPs use the MAC address of the first device attached to the modem to enable Hardware Provisioning; a means to verify that this user is a valid subscriber.
Normallly, i am able to connect with my friends line by changing the mac and user/pass. But i wanna be able to use my line (i,e, my user/pass) on desktop and his my friends user/pass/MAC on my laptop.
The MAC address is burnt into the NIC card at the time of manufacture, so you can NEVER change a MAC address.
Some routers have a masquerade feature to allow changes in the network AFTER
the hardware provisioning by the ISP. The masquerade sets the pseudo MAC on the
router to that of the original MAC at the time of the original install.

:(
I have one desktop pc(xp) and one laptop (vista). I has my line's username and pass and also a username and pass and MAC of a friend of mine (which i stole!!).
Techspot does not condone this activity :(

main thing is that i wanna use my one internet connection simultaneiusly in my desktop and laptop.

i have router and hub ............i bought both.

now can sum1 tell me how please?

I have a SURECOM EP-4904SX router and several crossover cables at my home. But i dont know the bits of how to connect these two pcs.
I been trying to locate the company website. Found lots of links to claims to be company site but not.

Please give link to company website so i can pull up specs / manuals on your devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back