TechSpot

router problem

By MasterShake
Aug 24, 2007
  1. heres the thing i have a router but it is firewalled but i dont know how to take out the NAT firewall any help?(for games and downloads)

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,714

If you are running XP
    go to Start > Run > cmd > OK
    at the prompt type ipconfig and then enter
    Look for the value Default gateway - something like 192.168.1.1. Note it.
    Type exit and then enter to clode the box
    Open internet explorer
    type the nunber into the address box and wait. Login - you may need a password - look in the manual or under the router itself.
    Find the settings and adjust.
    Hope this works - if you have problems with the password we need to know what router it is please.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,514   +336

You can't disable the NAT. The 'firewall' is simply a control that does not allow
    external access into your LAN address across the NAT.

If you need specific ports to allow traffic to ONE of your systems, that's done
    using port forwaring.

Your router should provide DHCP services to all LAN connections.

4. MasterShake

MasterShake TS Rookie Topic Starter

can i manipulate it and open more ports?will this solve my download problems (no more freezing downloads)

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,514   +336

yes, you can P.F. several or a range (xxx-yyy)
    unknown as we haven't determined the cause of the freezing. My guess would be NO; there's other issues here.

6. Rolfman

Rolfman TS Enthusiast Posts: 125

Try the using user name and password ''ADMIN''

Most routers have this word as a default log in , (unles of course someone setted up for you and you dont remember the passsword)Try and see if it opens up. if not then follow Albertlionheart's instrucctions , Check the bottom of the router.

.....I dont think that opening more ports will inflict any changes
    on your download consistency.

if you are running on XP , check if you have the widows XP firewall enabled also. (if you do disable it) , just leave your antyvirus firewall enabled.

7. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,714

what make is it??

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.