Router Problems!! have to unplug it alot to reconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMDominator88

so here's the friggin deal, I just bought another router to replace the other one that was acting up(doing the exact same thing), then new one is a D-Link WBR-1310, and i ran the setup wizard on the computer that it is directly connected to the DSL line, and that was fine, then I connected my other computer (both are Windows XP) to one of the other LAN ports......I can connect to the internet and download torrents, etc. for about 20-40 min, then I have to unplug the power to the router and plug it back in, rinse and repeat multiple times....I thought that the DHCP reset time might affect the situation, so I set the time to about 5 days(7200 min ) for the dynamic IP address to kick in,,,,no luck........uhhhh, any ideas, should I run the setup wizard for some reason on the computer connecting to the router(my second computer??)

first, the ISP controls the release/renew cycle so you can't impact that
(good idea and 2 points for you :) )

second, get the latest firmware for your router; they frequently have problems
with the version installed from the factory.

thrid, download torrents stresses our modems and routers more than anything else.
Try reducing the number of connections for your torrents and until you can
stay live w/o the unplug/replug fuss, stay off torrents.

Is it only with torrents?
Ring the ISP and have the line tested would be the first thing i'd do.
I've had this problem a few times and every so often until the problem was permanently fixed there would be sync'ing issues with the dsl service.

btw...
so here's the friggin deal,

Nice thread intro....Love it....rofl....:D

so I guess what ur saying is to call up AT&T yahoo (my dsl provider) and ask them to.......test the connection? or.... I'm not entirely sure by what you mean when saying "Ring the ISP"

lol...err yeah 'ring the isp', meaning pick up the phone and dial the number of your ISP (internet service provider) in your case AT&T yahoo, and ask them to test the line for you. They do a test on the DSL service, takes about 2 mins whilst you're on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back