Router sharing Bandwidth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triggert

I have a small little network setup in the house using the Netgear RP614 with a 768/384 DSL line. I have it hooked up to 3 computers and my Xbox. Whenever I first got it everything seemed to be fine. I could play games, download, and use the Xbox all at once with no probs. Now whenever I try and download on one computer it really limits what I can do on the others. I ran a speed test today and while downloading (at max speeds) my connection dropped down to about 136/90 on my other computer. Anybody got any ideas whats up with the router? I didn't think routers shared bandwidth but maybe I miss understood...

Trigg

"I ran a speed test today and while downloading (at max speeds) my connection dropped down to about 136/90 on my other computer."

Well, it's quite obious that if you use all the capacity of your internet connection with one computer then there is not much left for others..

It may also be that if you are having lots of connections (p2p) and/or you have enabled the packet filter on the router the poor thing just doesn't have enough processing power to keep up with the traffic.

The only reason I ask is because the first month I had the router everything worked fine. But like I said, just recently I can't do anything with it. I might as well not even be using a router because if one computer is doing something the others suffer dearly. I checked on the packet thing you suggested but I couldn't find anything under the settings about it so I'm assuming thats not it.

Trigg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back