Router to wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 4 computers networked together with a Linksys BEFSR81 Cable/DSL Router. I would like to add a wifi network for more devices. How and what?

My internet enters from isp cable modem in small business office in garage. Then to Linksys in the house, where all 4 PCs (including office PC in garage) are hooked up. I have another PC in another room that needs hooked up but have no more ports on router. Also I would like to add in wifi in entire house (including garage) for future equipment. I have tried a wireless router with wireless PC cards but could not get a strong enough signal to do any good. So I ran cat5e.

Which type of wireless routers, have you tried using Wireless N routers? This should give you the signal strength you need however if this is not sufficient then perhaps you need a signal booster/extender.

Make sure your wireless routers and cards are using the same technology (ie: Wireless N Router and Wireless N adapter)

Wireless N routers aren't the answer. What you need is a Wireless G router with a strong output. The standard routers only pump out about 26 mW with a 2dB antenna, nowhere near strong enough for decent range.

What you're looking for is a 100mW Engenius with a 7dB Dlink omnidirectional antenna. Watch the difference then. I guarantee you'll hit 500 ft through trees, walls, etc, without any problem.

No, it shouldn't in most cases (unless they use a different revision of the draft, possibly. N is not standardized yet).

Engenius is a relatively unheard of, but very good product. Most of what they do focuses on high powered corporate products. They do have a consumer line, though, such as the ESR-1220.

Sorry. Been real busy. Still struggling. What about if I purchased a Cisco Small Business WAP200 Wireless-G Access Point? Would that work for expanding my network wireless?

*most* 11n routers are compatible with 11g. If so, just set the G-MODE only.

802.11n has compatibility issues between venders!

Take one wire from your linksys to any LAN slot on the wireless (ie leave the wireless WAN port empty).
Disable the wireless DHCP service and the linksys will keep all the connections on the
same subnet. Config the SSID, channel, admin password and encryption and you're good to go.

Just get a good 11g router. I know this one is good at long ranges and relatively cheap. We have been using it here at our company for 2 years+, rock solid and great signal strength. We also use Cisco here at our company (we have a total of 3 wireless routers) and the buffalo is just as good (so far). The cisco's are built for harsh industrial environments (require a housing) but you can't go wrong with the Buffalo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162134

I am partial to Netgear equipment

The issue is 11.g, not the vender per se :)

I am partial to Netgear equipment

The issue is 11.g, not the vender per se :)

I like linksys myself. His issue seems to be weak signal which is why I suggested the Buffalo router. The router I suggested is a high-power model. More info here http://www.buffalotech.com/products...igh-power-router-and-access-point-whr-hp-g54/ I mentioned the Ciscos because he asked about them. They work well but are $600+ each. At least the ones we use are (Cisco Aironet 1200 series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back