Router vs. switch speed

1. Hey. I just got some new cat6A STP cables, and tested out my connection speed by directly connecting to my computer. I got somewhere around 100Mbs (I live at a university, so the internet is fast). When I connect my computer through my 10 year old linksys router, it maxes out right at 10Mbs. I am assuming that it is too old to support 100Mbs speeds, so I was wondering if I get a new router or switch, would one of those be able to support the 100Mbs, and which would be faster?

Edit: I guess I should add that I have tried looking for the answer to this question but most answers that I saw were for 5Mbs connections, thus people said it did not matter. But I could not find anything about higher speeds.
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

If your connection requires a router, get a new router. Otherwise a switch or direct connection would be fine.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,275   +280

Multiple issues here.
    1. The NIC bandwidth
    2. Router implementation
    (1)Every device on your LAN has a NIC (wired or wifi) and a bandwidth associated.
    Ignoring WiFi for the moment, you should have at least a router with a 10/100mb NIC as the lowest bandwidth NIC will limit the entire LAN. Eg: if you have router-->switch-->system
    then if two are 100/mb and one is 10mb, then 10mb will be your limit.
    (btw: you can now get 10/100/1000mb nics ).

(2) Sadly, some routers use a HUB internally instead of a switch implementation.
    A switch is a better design add allows all devices attach to run at the full rating of the NIC
    (that's right, 4 connections running a say 100mb, while a router allows proportional bandwidth)

In every LAN, there needs to be a DHCP service to hand out IP addresses. This allows the NAT feature to map all devices into your WAN side, ISP address. Without NAT+DHCP, you can only attach ONE device (or system) even if there are several slots.

You should be able to verify your Modem+Router NIC specs and if ether is 10mb, go get a newer device :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.