Router won't connect to Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Mac laptop, so I obviously wanted to connect wirelessly and went out to buy a router. I bought a Belkin G Wireless Router (model: F5D7234-4 v4). I got it all set up (I have no idea how, to be honest!) and it was working amazingly. I had yet to set up my desktop because I needed to reinstall my ethernet driver (I have recently wiped my desktop). My mom wanted to go online while I was in class and she disconnected the cables on the router, without turning off the power. When I came home, I couldn't get the router to reconnect.

The lights that light up on my router are the wireless light, the wired light, and the router light. It won't connect to my modem, nor will it connect to the internet, but the network connection is there. I'm able to connect to it on my laptop, as well as my desktop. I went through Support with Belkin, and they told me it was my ethernet cable. I went out and bought a new one and it still won't connect, so I know it's not that. I also went out to buy a different router (X.x) and it still doesn't work, so I have to take that back!

I'm incredibly frustrated, and I know next to nothing about computers and networking. I'm sorry for this whole novel, but I thought it would be better to give detail! So, if you can help me set up my router, or at least help me connect it to my modem I'd be so grateful!

the manual is located here

to configure a wireless router, we ALWAYS use a wired connection to avoid getting disconnected during the changes to the settings.

The F5D7234-4 is a G mode device and has a firmware update located here

download the firmware and use the manual to show you how-to perform the update.

when that's done, follow-up and we'll proceed further :)

[edit]
the setup is accessed in your browser with the url (literally as shown) 192.168.2.1
[/edit]

use the above IP address to access the router configuration

Pg 11 of the manual has the steps necessary. Try that approach and report
which step fails ...

After going through all the steps, only the last one failed. Connecting to the internet. After going through all the steps in the manual, and plugging everything in all correctly, my modem lights are all on except for the PC activity light (and the standby). The modem light on my router will flash a couple of times then go back out again, but it won't come on steady.

It says "Internet account information not accepted" after everything. The only thing it asked me about my internet account was who my provider was (Comcast). I don't have a username or password for my internet, and never have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back