Routers? :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

clipper

Hi all,

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to routers.. I've had a Speedtouch 330 ADSL USB modem for nearly 8 years now, but recently I've bought an xbox 360 and setting up ICS on it is a pain, and I'm also looking to get a laptop which I'll want wireless for, so I'm after a router that is wired, but can give me a WiFi connection.. I'm not entirely sure if they exist, as the site's I've looked on just state Wireless or nothing, the other thing that is confusing me is these routers have for example 300Mbps speeds written on them, I'm not sure what they're on about there exactly.. is that the speed that the network can work to or something? :S

Thanks alot for any help!

You're looking for an ADSL wireless-capable gateway. There are tons of these out there; I use a US Robotics 9108A, and love it.

To answer your questions:

WiFi is a broad term which refers to any wireless communication. In your case, you're looking at Wireless G or Wireless N router. These are examples of WiFi connections.

All home routers now come with wireless capabaility in addition to wired. You ahve the choice between using a wired or wireless connection for your PC and other devices.

The 300Mbps refers to the "bandwith" of the router. What that means is the rate at whichinformation can be transfered. 300Mbps is more than adequate for your needs.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back