Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I was just wondering whether i can use 2 routers, for the same phone line, we have 2 computers in separate buildings, but same phone line, would it be possible to use different routers?

Depends on the line, and the router, but technically, yes.
You divide the existing speed between the two, so neither will likely work like you expect. The result is less than half.
I am assuming you mean DSL since you are talking about a phone line, and the DSL connection will be the problem. DSL change will be detected and stopped by your IP provider. They are not dumb. Their detection equipment is designed to prevent this... and your agreement with them specifically prohibits it in every market I have seen. So you risk having no connection, and perhaps putting yourself at legal risk.

Well, a switch. Hubs are ancient technology. Do nothing. Contribute nothing.
But it still depends on how far apart the buildings are. 100 feet of cable is about the maximum you can go reliably without filtered amplification.
You also have increased risk from electrical storms if not setup correctly.
Wireless is probably the best choice. Test your buildings. Those with foil embedded into the walls, plaster, and paint will be trouble.
Remember that the more connections you have to whatever system you use, the slower each will be. If your connection is 4 mps, you will find it useful to boost it to 10 mbps. Business connections of increased speed are very expensive in some cities. Sometimes it is actually less costly to add a second connection to your contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back