Routing sound to different speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
-> Is there a way to route the sound of different programs to different speakers?

I have a standard 5.1 audio processor (in this case nVidia nForce2), but I'm not interested in 5.1 sound, so my sound outputs are connected somewhat differently:

- front speaker output: to home stereo
- rear speaker output: to headphones
- center speaker output: to monitor speakers

This way, I can use my home stereo system to play mp3's or DVD sound, my headphones to do WAV-editing, and my monitor speakers whenever I'm not using the other ones.

However, this poses some difficulties, for example during DVD playback. I have a monitor and a tv attached to my VGA card, and the video signal is routed to the tv while watching DVD's, so I can work on my computer while my wife is watching a DVD on tv. But when I get an error message, Windows sounds a loud 'ring', which is then vastly amplified by my home stereo system and scares the hell out of my wife. Also, when listening to mp3's on my home stereo, I don't want the monitor speakers to partake, since they are quite low quality and annihilate every nuance coming from the home stereo system.

So my ideal setup would be like this:
- mp3 and DVD sound: to home stereo (front speakers)
- WAV editing programs: to headphones (rear speakers)
- system sounds: to monitor speakers (center speaker)

Do you know of any solution (program/driver/...) to route the sound of these different programs to the different audio outputs?

You probably need another extra soundcard. One for mp3s and DVDs. The other for wave editing and system sound.

This is what I can think of at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back