Rumor: Amazon in talks to buy HP's webOS unit

By Jos
Sep 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Another day, another webOS acquisition rumor. This time word on the grapevine is that Amazon is seriously interested in picking up what's left of Palm, and that its current parent…

Read the whole story
  2. Tanstar

Tanstar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 195   +18

If anyone could make Palm relevant again, it would be Amazon.
  3. mosu

mosu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 297

One thought: App developers are easy to convince with the right amount of money.
  4. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Funny thing is, I read almost the same quote on tons of tech sites that said the samething when Palm was acquired by HP. In your defense though, Amazon doesn't have a crazy ***** of a CEO.
  5. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 869   +129

Oh man I hope this goes through!
  6. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,520   +311

Personally I don't see how Amazon could need Palm or webos, they seem to be doing better than everybody else except for Apple. Acquiring for a purpose different than product strategy (legal, patents, etc.) may be a possibility though.
  7. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

I just want to see someone optimize that God forsaken OS. Maybe boot times can go down from under 2 minutes? Or battery life can go past 6 hours a day under normal usage (I'm talking about regular usage for all of those that haven't messed with a Pre or Pre2). You know..things like this.
  8. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

I agree. WebOS is dead. Everyone is in a patent race right now to get either get ammunition against each other or for defensive purposes. This is a decent chance to get developers though as well. Not sure how much Amazon would need them though as they seem to be doing pretty well on their own. What i want is to see Amazon buy Hulu! There are to many different streaming providers with different content sets. I would subscribe to Amazon Prime if they had their content and Hulu's as well. The only downside for them is that offering more streaming might eat into their digital purchase revenue.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.