Rumor: Android 2.4 coming in April 2011

By Emil
Feb 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. There's talk once again that Android 2.4 is simply a minor bump to Android 2.3, that it will work with Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb) apps, and that it should arrive in April 2011. Those that think this is an early April Fools' joke will be quick to point out that this conflicts with a previous rumor that says Android 2.4 will be codenamed Ice Cream (Sandwich) and that it will be ship this summer.

Read the whole story
  2. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

Big fan of Android and yes i admit it has it faults but getting updates on a Android phone is definitely a wait and see game. I like the split idea one OS for phones and another for Tablets
  3. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 430   +8

Just my opinion but I can't STAND Android in it's current form, so the quicker it gets updates, the better. Although that won't necessarily matter if all of these damn companies take MONTHS to roll it out.
  4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Have there been any android phones that actually have been upgraded by either the cell phone company or the manufacturer? From what I've been reading, they pretty much avoid the practice in order to sell you a new phone with the next version of the OS on it.
  5. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

There's no real profit in it for the vendors which is the big problem, they will create a phone which will be ready for the next iteration, suck you in on that basis, then spend the next couple of months taking their sweet time with the update, then the telecommunication companies need to test it, that takes another month or so, than it gets distributed based on location.
  6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,989   +66

+1 Jibberish18

Along with many ills of Android it is one reason compelling me to think about changing, i.e. as soon as WP7 get its updates, I may chuck this Galaxy S out for good and get a WP7 phone (+ it has much better user interface unlike a cooked up lookalike of iOS). Hell I think webOS (or whatever HP calls it) has a much better interface compared to Android.

@gwail
    Samsung took 6 months or so before they upgraded Galaxy S to Froyo; and there is absolutely nothing from them about upgrade to gingerbread .......... so I guess it should give you your answer.
  7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903   +71

My Samsung Android phone is frozen in time at version 2.1. I guess I should be happy it ever made it that far. But with that said, my one looming problem with Adroid phones in general is for their lack of strong base applications. I don't want to put too much blame on Google, but the phone really needs to ship with some better email programs, some better camera programs, and some of the bells and whistles things like tip calculators, note taking software, and video editing. It's just not competitive against MS or Apple in it's base applications that Google ships the OS with.
  8. Archean

Well at least you are not having such ghastly problems I've been having since I jumped to Android bandwagon e.g. sluggish performance even when nothing else is being done, messaging crashing just for the sake of crashing, performance degradation over time as closed programs never really are 'closed' properly, PC connectivity never really works ..... etc. etc.
  9. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 Newcomer, in training Posts: 489

Google should take control of the Android update process. It relies too much on the manufacturers and telecom operators to roll out the updates. This leaves a lot of users still stuck on Eclair and even those using handsets running Froyo where the manufacturer has no intention of shipping the Gingerbread update to those particular models. This happens a lot with the lower-end Android phones whose hardware barely exceeds Google's minimum requirements.
  10. Archean

+fpsgamerJR62
    Not a bad idea, but I doubt it will be feasible considering the huge hardware base Android is being shipped on, although it can eliminate instability and other performance related issues.

Now if Google's Nexus S can run gingerbread I wonder why galaxy s can't hmmm .... :rolleyes:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.