Rumor: Apple to announce two new iPad models in January

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple could release two new iPad models in less than a month. The new devices are rumored to make their debut at iWorld (formerly Macworld Expo) which is scheduled for January 26, 2012. The timing is particularly interesting as Apple hasn’t attended this event since 2009.

Citing sources at supply chain partners, DigiTimes reports that the two new models will join the existing iPad 2 to target entry-level, mid-range and high-end market segments. The current iPad 2 is said to compete directly with Amazon’s Kindle Fire, meaning it would represent the low-end market. This is a bit hard to believe as Apple would have to lower the price of their tablet by a significant amount. Amazon has priced the Kindle Fire at $199 while the iPad starts at $499.

Both new models will feature a 9.7-inch screen but will include a resolution upgrade to 2,048 x 1,536. Dual LED light bars are being used to supply enough brightness to the new screens. Sharp will handle the majority of display orders but Samsung and LG Display will also supply some parts.

A Samsung-manufactured quad-core A6 processor will power the next generation iPads, according to the sources. Samsung has also been tapped to supply the CMOS image sensor for one of the new tablets with a 5MP camera. Sony will manufacture the other sensor with an 8MP lens.

Two manufacturers, Simplo Technology and Dynapack Internation Technology are supplying batteries with a capacity up to 14,000mAh. This is more than double the capacity of the current iPad 2.

Permalink to story.

Considering the new Kindle Fire puts the emphasis on the cloud and streaming instead of local storage like the current iPads, I'd bet the new iPads will follow suit.

Not that it matters since they still cost a ton.

It would be nice to see Apple come out with a cheaper tablet/e-reader. I wanted to buy an Ipad2 for someone but had to immediatly change my mind when I saw the price tag. WAY too expensive. Not a lot of ppl can afford to drop $499.99 + AppleCare in one lump sum. I ended up buying a Kindle Fire with Accidental Damage insurance for half of what Apple wanted.
Maybe we are going to see Apple getting over itself. It would be a nice change of pace.

Interested in the price before I get interested in anything else but if I do buy a tablet next year it will be running Windows 8 anyway.

Well I recently played with the iPad 2 and after using the iPhone 4s for a while the screen does look terible, glad to here they are upping it finally.

But since I've been after one for a while if this comes out at iPad 2 prices I'm sold :)

Burty117 said:
Well I recently played with the iPad 2 and after using the iPhone 4s for a while the screen does look terible, glad to here they are upping it finally.

But since I've been after one for a while if this comes out at iPad 2 prices I'm sold :)

I'm still sceptical about the 2048x1536 screen resolution. There's going to be a lot of iPad's shipping out with dead pixels, LCD fab technology simply doesn't have the yields to make panels with such a high resolution and no flaws.

As low level user of an iPad 1, I am impressed with some features but very disappointed in others not found: main one: no means of moving a photo in MAIL to PHOTO collection. One must go via a PC with the transfer option.
Lots of other minor inconveniences that one has come to expect on a PC.

This is curious considering Apple's falling out with Samsung...why would they switch to a third party processor? It's suspicious, at best. Apple releasing 2 products when their current iteration is WAY out front...again, suspicious. But no worries, It's only a rumour :)

Guest said:
This is curious considering Apple's falling out with Samsung...why would they switch to a third party processor? It's suspicious, at best. Apple releasing 2 products when their current iteration is WAY out front...again, suspicious. But no worries, It's only a rumour :)

What are you talking about? Switch to a third party processor? Samsung has always manufactured Apple's mobile device processors. The A4 chip was just a 250MHz downclocked hummingbird with the GPU laser cut down to SGX 535 specs. The A5 is just an Exynos chip downclocked 300MHz and paired with a powerVR GPU instead of an ARM one.

I am starting a rumor that my John Thomas needs a wheel barrow to aid transport, its as valid as this story

When will Apple put a full-fledged 4G LTE cell phone into it's IPAD?

I want a good 4GLTE cell phone and an Ipad all rolled into one single device.

and all the sheep jump up and down.

I bet people would buy Apple branded "pooh" if it existed.

ha ha.

Back