Rumor: Apple to expand iPhone lineup with new models

Jos

Staff

Apple is reportedly working on new versions of the iPhone in a bid to slow the growth of competing handsets based on Google's Android platform. According to one rumor, as reported by Bloomberg, the company is effectively developing a smaller and cheaper alternative to its existing model that would sell for about $200 without tying users to a contract.

The new model is described as being one-third smaller than current models but Bloomberg notes that its introduction to market isn't yet a certainty, as the company often works on products that eventually get scrapped. Meanwhile, a similar report on the Wall Street Journal suggests Apple may cut or ditch internal storage entirely and rely exclusively on a revamped, free MobileMe service that would serve as a cloud-based 'locker' for apps, photos, music and videos.

Doing away with internal flash storage would certainly help with the cost but it also ignores the reality of wireless networks -- limited coverage, poor signal in many areas, and carriers' restrictions on bandwidth. Even though Wi-Fi might mitigate some of these issues it would still be too impractical for iPhone users. It's not out of character for Apple to take a popular yet pricey product and make smaller versions that are more accessible to price-conscious customers -- the iPod is a prime example of that -- but we still have our reservations about this rumor.

Another more recent leak, courtesy of DigiTimes, says that the fifth-generation smartphone will actually feature a larger 4-inch display to take on Android devices such as the Galaxy S 2 and the HTC Desire HD. Again, you should take all this with a grain of salt, even more so when you consider the timing of the rumors (during MWC), let alone the fact that having multiple devices with different screen sizes would make life harder for developers powering the iOS platform.

Permalink to story.

They can't take over Android by using a bigger screen, or making a cheap device..!!
I am not a big fan of Apple.. but I really like their products.. "and who doesn't" some of them are awesome, and the others are just to drain your money..
and I know this device will have its own reputation for its low cost, and cause it's Apple.. "duh..!"
personally, I really like Android, Android is waaaaaayy much cooler than iPhone..
for those who love Apple never tried Android, give it a shot..

The funny part is they would still make a profit if they dropped the iphone we have now down to $200.

I have sold Sprint, T-mobile, At&t and now sell verizon all in the last year. I have had Blackberries, Palms, Androids and an iphone 3gs. The iphone is far superior to simply put it. I know people who loved android and bashed the iphone when they could not sell the device or own the iphone. I have seen these same people get an iphone to use and they no longer bash the device, once you have had an iphone nothing else compares. Each deivce has its target crowd but overall performance I have been impressed with apple's designs.

Yeah see i had an iPhone 3GS and I upgraded to a Galaxy S rather then the iPhone 4. Dont get me wrong the iPhone 4 is a great phone the SGS had just more features and flexibility, no Itunes was a big factor.

Anyway back to the matter at hand lets face it, what ever apple does its gonna sell. Having everything in the cloud though is probably going to be very off putting for allot of users

aj_the_kidd said:
^^ ** big factor**

Go down and click on the subscribe to thread button below. It brings you to the forum version where you can edit your post :p

Also the iphone 4 seriously isn't a very good phone. In reality it's actually the defected child of the galaxy S. All a4 processors are just the Galaxy S processors that couldn't run stable at 1GHZ. Underclocked and sent to apple. The screen's colors are washed out and blacks are more like greys. I won't even go into how using low quality glass on both sides makes it unbelievably fragile and the antenna issues.

Princeton said:
aj_the_kidd said:
^^ ** big factor**

Go down and click on the subscribe to thread button below. It brings you to the forum version where you can edit your post :p

Also the iphone 4 seriously isn't a very good phone. In reality it's actually the defected child of the galaxy S. All a4 processors are just the Galaxy S processors that couldn't run stable at 1GHZ. Underclocked and sent to apple. The screen's colors are washed out and blacks are more like greys. I won't even go into how using low quality glass on both sides makes it unbelievably fragile and the antenna issues.
Thanks for the tip.
I actually find the iPhone 4 to be a very good phone definitely has the better GPS then the Galaxy S, to each his own

aj_the_kidd said:
Princeton said:
aj_the_kidd said:
^^ ** big factor**

Thanks for the tip.
I actually find the iPhone 4 to be a very good phone definitely has the better GPS then the Galaxy S, to each his own

My Galaxy S gps is actually faster then the iphone 4 here(tested at a rogers store). I set the phone to a different server and run some modifications. I think the issue is more with american Galaxy S phones.

a really hate Apple, but i don't know why, just why i need an iPhone 4. i think that phone is the single decent product from Apple.

screw apple and iphone, they try to be a jealous monopolistic company that tries to eliminate competition. apple products are actually a bit overrated these days. it really is all about android. no market, like android market gives you complete freedom over what apps you want to download, and unlike apple, they dont block you from developing and marketing an app just because apple wont make money out of it. ANDROID FTW !

Back