Rumor: Apple to unveil iPhone 5S June 20, go on sale in July

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple’s next iPhone is scheduled to be unveiled on June 20 if the latest rumors are to be believed. According to MacFan, that’s the day that Apple’s Tim Cook will take the stage at a special media event to unveil what’s tentatively being called the iPhone 5S. The handset would then go on sale a few weeks later in early July, says Electronista.

The rumored date is in line with Apple’s earlier release schedule as the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, 3GS and the 4 all launched in the June / July timeframe. What’s more, the publication claims that a lower-priced iPhone will debut in August. This device would serve as a pre-paid option in developing markets like China and India.

The prediction also meshes well with that we have been hearing from a number of analysts as of late. Gene Munster from Piper Jaffray said he expects the iPhone 5S to launch in late June with a low-cost iPhone coming in September. Apple blog Macotakara published a story last month claiming the next generation iPhone is already in production while KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo thinks the iPhone will be unveiled in June and launch in July just like MacFan said.

A June 20 reveal would be just after Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference earlier in the month, the same conference that Cupertino has used to unveil iPhone hardware in the past. Apple is also expected to unveil a new iPad at some point later this year.

Permalink to story.

It should be June. There isn't going to be anything innovative in this edition. Faster processor, maybe slightly bigger battery, better screen, ect. iPhone hasn't been innovative since the 4 came out with a front facing camera.

Boohoo..same sh** in same case and maybe diferent color.... what the point to buy iphone if I can buy much better android and it for 30-40% less money...

I'm waiting for the iPhone 10...no... 20... erm... not sure!!! How many more new models will there be this year? Perhaps I'll just stick with my iPhone 3GS which works perfectly fine and does everything I want it to, it even makes calls!!! :D

"It should be June. There isn't going to be anything innovative in this edition. Faster processor, maybe slightly bigger battery, better screen, ect. iPhone hasn't been innovative since the 4 came out with a front facing camera."

and android has been so innovative these last years right?

"Boohoo..same sh** in same case and maybe diferent color.... what the point to buy iphone if I can buy much better android and it for 30-40% less money..."

same can be said about S4. And maybe, just maybe people buy the iphone for the iOS and the apps? (even though iOS is pretty stale right now)

Apple needs a hit with this next phone. Their stock went down when the 5 and the non-retina screen mini came out, and it hasn't recovered

And yes, Guest, there have been some unique innovations in android phones. There's wireless charging and near field communication on some phones. The Sony xperia is waterproof, and the new S4 can function as a universal remote with your home entertainment system.

The iPhone has always been the benchmark for the camera. The 4S and 5's camera has been great, but first look on the HTC One shows it may have the 5 beat on action photos and indoor/low light situations (which is far more applicable for many users).

Later this month Samsung may release their new 8 inch tablet (complete with IR blaster for your TV and SD Card Slot) and the mini will look even more overpriced.

So yes, Apple needs a home run this year. By June all Apple users will see many people walking around with their shiny new full HD S4s and HTC Ones, and they will really start to question why they still use an iPhone. The S3 took a big bite out of the 'coolness' of the iPhone and there's another beatdown on the way this month with the new Android phones... just in time to give people something to spend their tax refund on.

I'm waiting for the iPhone 10...no... 20... erm... not sure!!! How many more new models will there be this year? Perhaps I'll just stick with my iPhone 3GS which works perfectly fine and does everything I want it to, it even makes calls!!! :D

Makes Calls? Holy crap that's one heckuva smart phone there ima have to get me one of those:D

I hope they bring more than just a new camera and a better CPU. Hopefully they make the screen higher resolution or something. The 4S had siri along with the upgraded camera and CPU.

For everyone except milwaukee, geforce, and jc713.. what did you expect then?
Ok have that answer, then what did Samsung just introduce? Did that fit what you just said?

I would've said the same before I switched to the iPhone 5 (had a 3GS before my contract ended and I loved it), but seriously just for the screen, the performance, the CAMERA (it's so good, no need for a regular camera anymore), even when I compare it to my friends who still have their 4 and 4S, I can't say I'm unhappy about the trade up. Besides, my 32gb 3GS was full, and I wanted 64gb badly!

But for innovation, I think we'll have to wait for the next-gen OS (probably out when the TV will be), because Apple hasn't brought anything really new to the table since Jobs died (which was to be expected in a way).

Back