Rumor: Apple TV refresh, 1080p iTunes Store to join iPad 3 announcement

Shawn Knight

Staff member

In addition to the expected announcement of the iPad 3 at a media event in early March, new rumors and speculation suggest that we could see a revised Apple TV alongside the new tablet. Shortages of the current Apple TV and the possibility of 1080p iTunes content are fueling the refresh rumors.

A report from 9to5Mac notes that inventory of Apple’s set-top box at many big retailers is either very low or non-existent. A quick search at Best Buy’s website showed the product page for the Apple TV couldn’t be found. Furthermore, the unit isn’t shipping online and was only available in three out of 10 stores in my area.

apple refresh ipad announcement ipad 3 apple tv

Amazon shows zero new items for sale in addition to listing the product as the 2010 model. Walmart has removed the Apple TV from their online inventory while Target indicates they are sold out. Radio Shack reveals the unit is available in-stores only but I couldn’t find any in my area for purchase.

While there are still a few resellers that do have the set-top box in stock, the massive shortage likely means that Apple is planning a refresh in the near future (or maybe discontinuing the line in favor of the iTV due out later this year or in 2013). It wouldn’t make sense to host a media event just for the Apple TV so it’s likely that we will see an update at the iPad 3 announcement early next month.

In support of the Apple TV refresh rumor, MacRumors points out that Apple will likely introduce 1080p iTunes content to run on the iPad 3’s high-resolution 2048 x 1536 Retina Display in the near future. A refreshed Apple TV would be the next logical step if the company does launch the 1080p iTunes Store.

Permalink to story.

Apple TV requires a separate box? Why? netflix and Hulu are built into Blu-ray and PS3 etc, and if Apple has a competing service we'd need to buy another box? I hope Apple or Google (or somebody) provides a decent internet TV package, but don't make us buy another box.

Finally, a 1080p Box, i can't believe the last one didn't have the ability to output 1080p...

This would be the first time they're selling a software product.

I understand though... they didn't get to be the biggest tech company in the world by selling you one thing, when they could force you to buy two at twice the cost.

was thinking about getting this friend has one jailbroken amount of content was huge

I looked for Apple TV last Christmas season but was told you'd have to visit and Apple Store for them. It was at Best Buy i think.

Back