TechSpot

Rumor: Asus has made an offer to acquire board maker ASRock

By Shawn Knight
Oct 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Rumors are circulating at this hour that Asus has made an offer to acquire fellow motherboard maker ASRock. Charlie Demerjian from SemiAccurate says ASRock's parent company, Pegatron, approves of the takeover bid but nothing is official yet.

Read more

2. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 850   +11

For some reason I already though ASRock was owned by ASUS :p. Well if they do buy them I hope they keep their line of inexpensive but quality boards. I have used a lot of ASRock boards for building cost effective computers.

3. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 641   +118

I thought the same thing. Haha Guess I don't pay enough attention to these companies sometimes.

4. Inexpensive quality boards? Oh please. It's called killing competition.

5. Holyscrap

Holyscrap TS Rookie Posts: 39   +12

It's called competition.

The very definition of competition in economics is better quality at lower price. (there's more than that but this pretty much sums it up)

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,253   +1,550

Which if the rumor is true, is probably why ASUS wants to buy them out. What better way is there to raise merchandise prices of competitors? The inexpensive boards my not be killing competition but the buy out would be.

7. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 375   +43

The ASRock z77 Extreme 4 has to be the best budget oriented board for gaming. I know it's not the cheapest z77 board, but it is one of the cheapest that supports SLI and has plenty of features for enthusiasts without stepping up to a $200 motherboard.

I really hope that Asus doesn't buy ASRock and eliminate the brand, but I could really care less if they took ownership and sold both Asus and ASRock branded motherboards.

8. If I'm not mistaken, Asrock was created by Asus to provide a low cost option to their consumer? or am I wrong?

9. AddicTeD

AddicTeD TS Member

You're right, Asus and Asrock were the same thing until 2009 (if I'm not mistaken) when Asus and some other company split up (you can look in google).

10. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Where are the respected anti-competition organisations in regard to all of this?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.