TechSpot

Rumor: BlackBerry smartphones to run Android apps

By Shawn Knight
Aug 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Research in Motion (RIM) could be looking to integrate Android application support into future BlackBerry smartphones by next year. The move could help revive slowing BlackBerry sales and give customers…

Read the whole story

2. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 991   +90

I thought they already announced this before the play book got released?

3. Android OS is an "Open Platform", allowing developers
    to configure "Permissions" for the device.

As long as BlackBerry "Network Transport Payload"
    still have to implement RIM proxies, it's no use only

... "Running" on Android OS on-top of BlackBerry OS

All smartphone on "Radio Signal" has latency, with
    added network proxies, its too slow !

4. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

I think the previous announcement related specifically to the playbook only, but this article is talking about BB smartphones. I think that is the difference. I believe the playbook has a different version of the BB OS (which is android compatible) compared to smartphones and that the new BB OS for smartphones will be android compatible, i think.

5. IMO, I think RIM should just drop their OS, adopt windows8 instead and concentrate on offering stronger corporate/business services integration and solutions. They could create a BES server UI with granular controls on top of windows server/activesync hooks, reducing costs for traditional standalone BES server.

6. Well i think if BB is allowing Android Apps on their phones then BB should also enable its services on Android phones, isnt it? Fair Usage Policy :p

7. "if BB is allowing Android Apps on their phones then BB should also enable its services on Android phones, isnt it?"

Ideally would be nice. Or another way, take android and modify it under a license which allows them to use android as a base, but keep ability to customize it enough to be proprietary enough to differentiate and keep their patents, while allowing access to Android and Blackberry OS market.
    Bah won't happen. Soon RIM will end up being like PALM.