TechSpot

Rumor: Facebook developing VoIP calls à la Skype

By Emil
Jan 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A few Facebook users have started seeing a Call button randomly show up when they visit their friends' profiles. The new button doesn't seem to do anything, but it's not too big of a stretch to guess that Facebook wants to start doing VoIP calls.

Read the whole story

2. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 881   +130

Facebook LOVES to get itself integrated into as many places and devices as possible. However, I don't think they like integrated other services into Facebook. As such, I highly doubt they'll integrate skype. That being said, if whatever VoIP service they create is anything like their chat service, I can't see myself ever using it.

3. Emil

Emil TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 154

I see what you're saying. Maybe they will just use Skype's technology under the hood? Only time will tell.

4. Hope they outsource, they cant even make an instant messenger function that is reliable.

5. andreasf93

andreasf93 TS Rookie Posts: 25

#Guest is right, fix chat first..

6. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

Tell me about it. They got their grubby little hands on my favorite file sharing site drop.io and then shut it down..........bastards...

7. Skype has the ability to show your Facebook newsfeeds.... so... i imagine it is likely that they would go with the Skype technology to go with friend calling.

8. nismo91

nismo91 TS Guru Posts: 1,004   +11

it'd be great if they collaborate with skype so I can chat with https on and have good voice / video calls with extra features i.e. screen-sharing and conference video call.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.