Rumor: Google developing Android-based HUD glasses

Jos

Staff

Google is reportedly working on a pair of glasses that can function as a smartphone and display information right onto your retina, Terminator-style. According to 9to5Google, the prototype device looks somewhat like Oakley Thumps (pictured below) and apparently it's is far enough along that Google might launch this product as a beta-pilot program to people outside of the company soon.

The device is said to have a low-res camera that could be used to gather information for augmented reality apps in addition to taking still pictures. There's a non-transparent head-up display (HUD) for one eye only and to the side, with users being able to navigate through options by tilting their heads to scroll and click. The site's tipster claimed that navigating with the glasses is easy to learn and "becomes second nature."

google hud

The Google goggles also support voice input and pack hardware that's equivalent to a generation-old Android smartphone. Although there are no solid details on this front, 9to5Google ventures to guess that this might include a 1GHz ARM A8, 256MB RAM and 8GB of storage.

Google reportedly acknowledges that the appeal for such a device will most likely be limited to a few industries and early adopters, but the company is nonetheless tinkering with the concept of wearable technology and envisioning possible consumer applications for the future.

The New York Times reported last December that researchers at the Google X Labs were working on various wearable technologies that would serve as peripherals to Android phones, but the report from 9to5Google suggests these goggles will function as stand-alone Android devices.

Permalink to story.

There's a non-transparent head-up display (HUD) for one eye only and to the side, with users being able to navigate through options by tilting their heads to scroll and click.

Just what we need... A world filled with Stevie Wonder impersonators.:rolleyes:

Wendig0 said:
There's a non-transparent head-up display (HUD) for one eye only and to the side, with users being able to navigate through options by tilting their heads to scroll and click.

Just what we need... A world filled with Stevie Wonder impersonators.:rolleyes:
I giggled…

To be honest, I'm intrigued by this idea. Granted, its mostly because of the sheer awesomeness of having smartphone glasses. Judging from the picture though, they aren't going to be designed to be worn over glasses.

I'd rather the glasses connect to my phone to make them cheaper, lighter, and then the technology could be used in motorcycle visors or car windshields.

Back