TechSpot

Rumor: Google Drive cloud storage to launch in April

By Leeky
Mar 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google's cloud-based storage service, dubbed Google Drive or GDrive, could arrive as early as next month, according to "well placed sources familiar with company’s plans" talking to GigaOM.

Read the whole story

2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,811   +920

That's great news, man....! Hal-EE- Loo- Ja...!!! Gotta jet now. Gonna sell all my hard drives and download a copy of "Chrome". Hey maybe I'll send Google a few picture of my house, gratis! That'll save them some gas for their photo trucks! Can't do enough for Google, ya know

Really Leeky, couldn't you have held off on this story until the first of April....?

3. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Hmmm might be easier for Google to offer a lower amount of storage space till their system gets fully functional. Probly see more GB offered for free after they are all setup and running. I suspect that Google will end up dominating this market due to how many android users there are. Storing movies ect. in a cloud format could also sway alot of ppl on the fence over android.

4. captaincranky

Yeah, I'm going to store all my movies in the cloud, so I can pay a hundred bucks a month for a "smart phone" plan, so I can watch movies on my 4 inch screen iPhone, instead of the 40 inch TV, and 5.1 channel JBL surround sound system in my home.

I can't stress this too much...."April Fool"!

5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +98

We'll see how genuine this is soon enough -- I personally very much doubt its an April fools joke, but that's the thing with rumours, you never really know.

I think Google will eventually come to the market with a product, and I think if the hype can outlast that of Google+ it could well turn out to be one of Google's more productive ventures.

Time will tell.

6. captaincranky

But my embracing of the venture certainly is an April Fool's joke.... Gonna try to hold them to 9 running processes, if you know what I mean.

7. sapo joe

sapo joe TS Member Posts: 81

I use Windows Live Mesh, and love it... It integrates seamlessly with windows explorer, and is easy to use. But, you know, healthy competition is always good!

8. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,168   +176

DropBox and SkyDrive don't do blind encryption... an area I'm keen to have a good look at.

9. sapo joe

sapo joe TS Member Posts: 81

I see what you did there... LOL

Kidding pr0n and warez are important indeed. =)

10. Ehhh....I've been using "Google Storage" for near 2 years now on the Developer tab on Google account settings

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.