Rumor: Google Drive cloud storage to launch in April

Leeky

Google's cloud-based storage service, dubbed Google Drive or GDrive, could arrive as early as next month, according to "well placed sources familiar with company’s plans" talking to GigaOM.

These rumors have been a long time coming, with the Wall Street Journal first reporting it way back in 2006. Since then, speculation regarding the product's possible arrival has emerged on multiple occasions, but up until now nothing has come to fruition. Now rumors say that the new service is likely to arrive in the first week of April.

Accroding to the report, Google will offer just 1GB of storage for free and charge for those requiring more. If accurate, that seems like a rather strange decision considering Dropbox, which is arguably the leader of cloud-based storage, offers double that for their basic free plan. Even Apple’s iCloud and Box offer 5GB for free, and Microsoft's SkyDrive offers 25GB, so Google would be far from competing with the established products in terms of free storage capacity.

Despite this, it would offer a compelling solution for those currently using multiple services for email, electronic documents and cloud-based storage. The ability to control all aspects within a single account without the need for multiple accounts with different providers certainly makes it an attractive option.

Google Drive will also come with a local client, as well as a web interface, and is said to be similar in looks to the current Google Docs service. There is no word yet on what hardware platforms will be supported from launch, but it’s likely at least Android’s mobile OS, Windows and OS X will be supported from day one.

It is also rumored to include a built-in API to allow third party apps with the service, enabling users of the service to store content from other apps on their account.

Unfortunately it looks like we will have to wait until April to find out if the rumors are correct. Google doesn’t usually comment on speculation or rumors and on this occasion it was no different.

Permalink to story.

Google's cloud-based storage service, dubbed Google Drive or GDrive, could arrive as early as next month, according to "well placed sources familiar with company’s plans" talking to GigaOM.

Read the whole story
That's great news, man....! Hal-EE- Loo- Ja...!!! Gotta jet now. Gonna sell all my hard drives and download a copy of "Chrome". Hey maybe I'll send Google a few picture of my house, gratis! That'll save them some gas for their photo trucks! Can't do enough for Google, ya know

Really Leeky, couldn't you have held off on this story until the first of April....?

Hmmm might be easier for Google to offer a lower amount of storage space till their system gets fully functional. Probly see more GB offered for free after they are all setup and running. I suspect that Google will end up dominating this market due to how many android users there are. Storing movies ect. in a cloud format could also sway alot of ppl on the fence over android.

Hmmm might be easier for Google to offer a lower amount of storage space till their system gets fully functional. Probly see more GB offered for free after they are all setup and running. I suspect that Google will end up dominating this market due to how many android users there are. Storing movies ect. in a cloud format could also sway alot of ppl on the fence over android.

Yeah, I'm going to store all my movies in the cloud, so I can pay a hundred bucks a month for a "smart phone" plan, so I can watch movies on my 4 inch screen iPhone, instead of the 40 inch TV, and 5.1 channel JBL surround sound system in my home.

I can't stress this too much...."April Fool"!

We'll see how genuine this is soon enough -- I personally very much doubt its an April fools joke, but that's the thing with rumours, you never really know.

I think Google will eventually come to the market with a product, and I think if the hype can outlast that of Google+ it could well turn out to be one of Google's more productive ventures.

Time will tell.

We'll see how genuine this is soon enough -- I personally very much doubt its an April fools joke,
But my embracing of the venture certainly is an April Fool's joke.... Gonna try to hold them to 9 running processes, if you know what I mean.

I use Windows Live Mesh, and love it... It integrates seamlessly with windows explorer, and is easy to use. But, you know, healthy competition is always good!

Darth Shiv said:
DropBox and SkyDrive don't do blind encryption... an area I'm keen to have a good look at.

I see what you did there... LOL

Kidding pr0n and warez are important indeed. =)

Ehhh....I've been using "Google Storage" for near 2 years now on the Developer tab on Google account settings

Back