Rumor: Hulu Plus to soon cost $5 a month

Emil

Staff

Hulu is considering slashing the price of its Hulu Plus subscription service in half, to $5 per month, according to All Things Digital. Hulu Plus is still in testing, but so far there hasn't been much interest at the service's current pricing of $10 per month.

Hulu Plus gives you access to a somewhat larger content library and let's you watch Hulu on non-PC devices (like the iPad), but it's still limited primarily to current broadcast shows from its three owners: Disney's ABC, GE's NBC and News Corporation's Fox. In addition, many networks are creating their own free apps for such devices, like ABC, one of the networks Hulu supports.

Hulu Plus for $5 per month is definitely an improvement. Most users are, however, still going to use the free advertisement version of the service since Hulu Plus doesn't offer that much more. On top of that, services like Netflix aren't much more expensive and offer much more content. They're also available on multiple non-PC devices, including the three biggest gaming consoles: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and the Wii.

Permalink to story.

The $5 a month price was what I said it should target when they first started hinting at a "Plus" version. Perfectly adequate price point, so long as they follow through and provide all of the content they were hyping with Plus - full seasons of current and old television shows (that aren't necessarily streamed on Netflix), and some movies. So far, I haven't seen much in the way of that extra stuff that would make it attractive. Maybe they overestimated the content they would be able to acquire? At least they dropped the advertising for Plus users (I am assuming).

If they can get the content, they have a shot. And since the rumor is that Netflix is bringing a lower cost streaming-only plan to the market, having both streaming services may be cost effective and provide a wealth of content.

They still need a lot more content to even become a viable option imo considering 88% of Hulu Plus is already provided for free.

Vrmithrax said:
At least they dropped the advertising for Plus users (I am assuming).

Did they? I was definitely not fond of them double-dipping.

Either way their behavior seems to indicate they are more interested in keeping the status quo rather then moving towards the future. [Link 1, Link 2]

Being that netflix offers impressive streaming and DVD service simultaneously, starting at $10. This is a smart move for them. I have a PS3 with PSN+ and I tried the Hulu Preview and gave it a 2.5 out of 5. Regardless of it being a preview, it's overall presentation and streaming options were unimpressive. It may have good potential when it grows in due time.

I still feel Netflix is better choice as it has much more larger library and good customer support.

I think there is a lot of interested Sony Bravia TV and Blu Ray player owners out there. The problem is there are also a lot of angry Sony Bravia TV and Blu Ray player owners as well. We have been promised something by Hulu and have not been given anything. We all wait wondering when Fall 2010 is to Hulu and if they might need an updated calender. Hulu should pay attention to the Discussions involving this because the customers they do have are now starting to give up and drop like flies.

Back