Rumor: Microsoft to demo Windows 8 tablet UI in June

Emil

A new rumor suggests that Microsoft is planning to show off a Windows 8 tablet UI by the end of the company's fiscal year. Microsoft's fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30, meaning that we may see the demos in question sometime in the next three months. The tidbit comes from "a source at Microsoft" quoted by Business Insider:

This person claims that Microsoft is taking a more Apple-like approach to interface design this time around, and will also be using concepts from the "Metro" interface developed for Windows Phone 7. Ironically, that interface grew out of the Media Center UI that shipped with Windows XP back in 2004, but the Media Center interface was meant to be viewed from up to 10 feet away and controlled with a remote control, whereas Metro is meant to be used with touch screens.

A rumor from just earlier this year suggested that Microsoft has already compiled Windows 8 Milestone 2. This would suggest that Microsoft might want to show off Windows 8 Milestone 3, which would be still very early in the development cycle.

Another rumor also from two months ago suggested that Windows 8 will include a new tile-based user interface, codenamed Mosh, as well as a new app model, codenamed Jupiter, that will target a new Windows Marketplace app store. Let's add more rumor tidbits from three months ago: the OS will have two user interfaces, a new fast hibernation system, and will intelligently manage an SSD.

Please remember these are all rumors. They won't all be correct, and even the ones that are will not be completely on the money.

Permalink to story.

Saw a video of the "new" interface with bubbles and color-coded "activity areas". I like the direction they're moving in, and the basic philosophy of creating a more dynamic UI, but it was decidedly juvenile-looking.

I just hope they don't get rid of the "traditional" Windows interface. I'm willing to play around with anything new they want to include, and maybe I'll like it, but on the chance that I don't, I'd prefer the option to keep what works until something that I find more useful comes along.

What I would *love* is if they included the option of using a tablet, or similar touch screen device, for additional input options. Having a traditional keyboard, and an additional surface with controls specific to programs would be awesome. Macro keys on keyboards are nice, but you have to remember what goes where. Icons on a tablet would be much more user friendly IMO.

gwailo247 said:
What I would *love* is if they included the option of using a tablet, or similar touch screen device, for additional input options. Having a traditional keyboard, and an additional surface with controls specific to programs would be awesome. Macro keys on keyboards are nice, but you have to remember what goes where. Icons on a tablet would be much more user friendly IMO.

Send this comment to Microsoft, because I agree. This is something they need to consider. I would LOVE to have a Win7 tablet that has a shortcut screen that would launch programs on the computer. This way I wouldn't have to minimize the window or click the start-up button...just reach over and start up whatever program I want with ease. Plus a keyboard would be awesome. Always wanted a touch screen keyboard.

MS is more than a bit behind the 8-ball on this one.

"Microsoft is taking a more Apple-like approach to interface design ..."

What a surprise!

"Apple-like" is just a catch-all term for increased intuitivity. Not as if it's a bad thing, and the specialized UI will facilitate easier operation on a tablet. Having had the misfortune of trying to use XP on a touchscreen laptop a few years ago, it'll be a welcome change. Might sway me to purchase a tablet too, as it'd make my jobs a little easier.

I'm pleased they'll have the two UI's, so that puts my worries to rest. Intelligent SSD management is a real plus for me too!

I dont know if MS is ever going to be a major player in the tablet or mobile phone business, WP7 looks nice but it hasn't really gained any traction.

MS is more than a bit behind the 8-ball on this one.

"Microsoft is taking a more Apple-like approach to interface design ..."

What a surprise!

What about this bit:

will also be using concepts from the "Metro" interface developed for Windows Phone 7. Ironically, that interface grew out of the Media Center UI that shipped with Windows XP back in 2004

Anyone can 'selectively' quote stuff to misguide others. Now I've only quoted couple of examples in the other thread of how Apple copies Microsoft when they want to, so unless you correct your 'tunnel' view of the world, I will tend to side with CC about you being a troll and fanboi.

Edit:
Just to Drive home my point here is a comparison about who did what:

1. Top 10 Features Apple Stole from Windows.
2. Top 10 Features MS Stole from OS X

I dont know if MS is ever going to be a major player in the tablet or mobile phone business, WP7 looks nice but it hasn't really gained any traction.

Well Mario, I wouldn't be so sure about it yet, given the issues Android devices can pose (due to lax control and very nature of Google's business model) there is a window of opportunity for whomever provided they can offer some viable (tech/feature/stability wise) and aesthetically good alternative, and since I am using Android for now (and having to sort out many issues at my own) I am sure when time comes to buy a new smartphone, it wouldn't be my first choice. Beside, the nagging sense that it 'feels' like a cheap imitation (i.e. graphically) of iOS is a huge turn-off.

Windows 8 already! Windows XP lasted ages. Vista and 7 both look like to only be lasting half as long, they knocking these OS out aren't they!

Okay, there is the interface but what I want to know is what will Windows 8 actually offer by means of the "guts" of the OS. What is going to be different besides the interface which, honestly, I could care less about.

Windows 7 has been a very pleasant experience; I like it a whole lot more than XP. So what is MS offering with 8 that would cause me to give up 7? We don't know, but for me that is the issue.

marioestrada said:

You obviously haven't played with windows phone 7 yet. Everyone who uses it(aside from some iPhone users) LOVES it. Even some of my hardcore android friends like it more than their phone. It is the perfect alternative to the iPhone with the lack of all the apps, but that will change. I'd say the sound quality on the music player is better than the iPhone and I'd say it is easier to sync music than iTunes and definitely easier the. lastly, the mobile version of office is VERY powerful to the extent that it can be one of it's selling points. The iPhone has nothing like it.

BTW, I wrote this whole post from my LG quantum.

Archean said:
Anyone can 'selectively' quote stuff to misguide others.

Be sure not to exclude yourself in the 'Anyone'.

Archean said:
Just to Drive home my point here is a comparison about who (Apple\MS) did what...
Yes of course. There is not a single atom in the known universe that has not been influenced by another. This makes its all the way up to your bias for Microsoft and my recognizing Apple as currently the most important innovator in this industry.

unless you correct your 'tunnel' view of the world, I will tend to side with CC about you being a troll and fanboi
Many of us are aware of how 'gang mentality' functions. Naturally with Windows users still in the majority I can only expect this kind of low-brow attempt at minority suppression. But just as in the political world, ultimately we all lose when this behavior is permitted to predominate. When the Windows majority poke fun at Apple it is 'humor', if someone pokes fun at Windows the majority screams 'troll'. Like I said, this is to be expected but that does not make it a suitable replacement for intelligence.

Now back to the topic...
I wish all companies to succeed in innovating including Microsoft who's technology I derive significant income in relationship to (sadly often for the wrong reasons) - I only side with the consumer. I also abhor abuse of power which I believe Apple and Microsoft are both terribly guilty of (among others). But a spade is a spade - Microsoft is chasing Apples tail and I would prefer to see them field a team in the same league before they are forgotten. It will be difficult because MS does not control the hardware and therefore can only influence the end product to a degree. Sometimes this is a strength but at the moment with Apple at the top of their game I see it proving otherwise.

Whoaman # 12:
Yes of course. There is not a single atom in the known universe that has not been influenced by another. This makes its all the way up to your bias for Microsoft and my recognizing Apple as currently the most important innovator in this industry.

Implied acceptance of my point i.e. Apple isn't the 'innovator in chief' as you have been trying to make us believe so. Now either you haven't carefully read the links I gave you in the above post; or you are simply ignorant of the facts by making such sweepingly incorrect statements like 'chasing tails' ......

None of us is interested in 'ganging' you; what you need to understand that despite Apple making reasonably good OS, issue lies in their exorbitant pricing (i.e. ripping off users) for exactly same hardware as you can find on any competing windows based PC/Notebook; we can safely include iphone in this list as well (I remember reading somewhere that iphone 4's construction cost PU was 188$ at launch) .......

Archean said:
what you need to understand that despite Apple making reasonably good OS, issue lies in their exorbitant pricing (i.e. ripping off users) for exactly same hardware as you can find on any competing windows based PC/Notebook.......

'Exactly' is debatable. I fear this has been discussed ad nauseam and doesn't really belong here but...

Yes Apple products at this moment integrate third-party components more-or-less available to other PCs. Yes Apple charges exorbitant prices for third-party-acquired add-on memory that they sell and warranty and no-one-in-the-know would buy these parts from Apple just as no-one-in-the-know would by these parts from Dell or HP either for the very same reason.

However, notice that every company that manages to turn out a laptop that could be considered competitive with Apple's build quality (power\weight\size\quality\look\feel\batterylife\integration) is equally or even more expensive (Adamo is one example - and there are many). And this doesn't include the crapware these companies load the machine up with to reduce its sticker price. Nor does it include the full out version of an OS designed specifically to match very well with the hardware. Nor does it include what is continually rated the best support in the industry. Nor does it factor in the leading resale value of Macs (influenced by all of the above). I could go on...

Turning out class-leading fully-baked products costs money. That Apple designs the hardware and the software and is doing a good job has significant added value to the consumer. For many the TCO and ROI will be in Apple's favor.

As a geek I enjoy slapping together my hackintosh\win\linux monstrosities from whatever I have lying around - it's my hobby - but I am not representative of Joe Consumer who benefits greatly from the so-called Apple-tax.

Back