TechSpot

Rumor: Microsoft working on FaceTime competitor for WP7

By Jos
Jan 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is working on a competitor to Apple’s FaceTime mobile video chat feature, according to Neowin. The site claims to have gotten tip from a key Windows Phone 7 employee in an “off comment fashion,” but digging into the mobile operating system’s registry keys, mentions of "VoIP" and "SIP" were found hidden inside the "ControlPanel" section. Although both entries were disabled and Neowin didn’t have write access to switch them on, it’s an interesting finding which has sparked speculation that Microsoft could link this with other Live services.

Read the whole story

2. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Apple said they would make Facetime and open standard but I haven't heard more about it, it's a shame it would be great to have interoperable video chats using the same protocol.

3. Apple and Open used in the same sentence, now that's news ;)

4. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Best guest comment I've seen in a while.

5. Microsoft chasing Apples tail yet again for the millionth time.

And by the way, Microsoft are far far worse when it comes to open source. Quite visibly anti actually.

hxxp://www.apple.com/opensource/
    hxxp://www.microsoft.com/opensource/directory.aspx

Apple has more than twice the projects.

Even the foundation of Apple's OS is open source ( Google OS X Darwin ).

I feel bad for all those so envious of Apple's success. Apple is the primary innovator right now and you owe them a heck of a lot for getting everybody else to pull their socks up.

Having both a mac and a windows pc, I cringe whenever I'm forced to do anything in Windows. It's like driving a Pinto instead of Porsche. Yuck! Luckily, that is almost never now.

6. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Apple isn't innovative in the slightest. You're the kind of person who would call the ipod nano an "innovative device" even though apple just ripped off the design from other companies. Apple takes existing designs, slaps a logo on, puts in last generation hardware and sells it at a premium.

7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Wait, what? Anything going up against Facetime isn't a competitor - it's a superior thing. Facetime is so outdated it's not funny.

Also I thought the Skype app now let you do video calls over wifi/3G?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.