TechSpot

Rumor: RIM to bring BB Messenger to Android, iOS

By Jos
Mar 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. According to "multiple trusted sources" speaking to Boy Genius Report, Research In Motion is planning to bring its popular BlackBerry Messenger application and service to Android and iOS platforms. The move would appear to come in response to the surge of cross-platform imitators like WhatsApp and Kik, the latter of which was recently pulled from the BlackBerry App World and is currently involved in a copyright infringement lawsuit with the Canadian firm.

Read the whole story

2. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Please let this be real, I would love to change my aging Blackberry Curve to something more 'smart'.

3. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 330   +21

BBM is awesome and I am planning on getting an Android when the time comes.

4. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

I'm not sure. It's the only reason anyone buys their phones anymore. Android devices can do anything a blackberry can and a lot more. Even opera allows for data compression like on blackberries.

5. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Honestly this sounds like a bad idea to me. Seem like it'll hurt them more than anything.

6. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

A lot of people i know have BB for BBM. Now they will likely get an iphone

7. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

That is unless they have any sense in their head :p

There is indeed that chance...but i'm willing to risk it :p

I HIGHLY agree. I thought mine was cool at first...but then I held an android phone and it changed me forever...only 6 more months before I can kick my BB to the curve (haha, just realized the pun there, lol) and upgrade to an android (well, at a cheap price anyway...I could do it now but it'd cost twice as much...unless anyone has a working MyTouch 4G they're willing to give me for free :D

8. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Its a stripped down version so i wouldn't jumping ship yet if your a BB owner, nor am i waiting in anticipation as an android owner.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.