TechSpot

Rumor: RIM to release first BlackBerry 10 OS smartphone in October

By Leeky
Apr 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. According to an exclusive by BlackBerry news site N4BB, Research in Motion looks set to debut BlackBerry 10 OS in August, with handsets to follow a couple of months later,...

Read the whole story
  2. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 707   +214

It really is their last chance. As someone who loves the traditional BB form factor, good QWERTY experience and many of the innovations they pioneered, even I realize that this is a company whose time is up. Their devices have gotten progressively harder to set up and keep running correctly with each OS version. App selection is nearly stagnant. Most absurd of all is their pricing - their the most expensive thing you can buy on contract, for the least capable device on the market. RIM was so myopically obsessed with fat government and corporate contracts that they ignored the consumer market almost completely, punishing any employee who dared point out this fatal mistake. The Playbook showed just how lost they really are: a tablet whose only market would be people who already had a Blackberry. Or maybe the fools thought leaving out a cellular radio would somehow prompt people to buy a phone, too. If they manage a turnaround it will be one of the greatest comeback stories in corporate history..and if not, it will be the final chapter in this sorry tale of managerial incompetence.
  3. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 524   +142

I found that they were the cheapest when I picked up my smartphone (which is why I went with BB), even with the "fee" for their server...
  4. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Not for the high end models they aren't. Maybe for the curve and the old bold models. But their Bold 9900 and Torch 9810 are right up there with superior smart phones in terms of pricing.
  5. Wizz-Fizz

Wizz-Fizz TS Rookie Posts: 35   +11

In my opinion, its only the enterprise level of device administration (BES) that is keeping RIM alive.
    I know for a fact that in our organisation we will be seriously considering alternate smartphones once enterprise administration is available.
    So RIM really only have a small window of time left to come up with something that keep them alive or I can see "RIP: RIM" headlines coming.
  6. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 707   +214

I did forget about the older Curves..their usually free, esp. online. But you could still get a better equipped Android free as well, so what I really should've said was, "they're the worst value".

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.