TechSpot

Rumor: Samsung to build an Android tablet for Amazon

By Emil
Apr 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Gdgt just posted an excellent article claiming that Amazon is getting Samsung to build them an Android tablet, which may run Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb) or even a custom operating system based on Google's Android platform. It could be released by the end of this summer.

Read the whole story
  2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Good article. Pretty much spells out why it would succeed.

Wouldn't be surprised if they offer the tablet for "free" if you sign up to a multiyear contract obliging you to purchase a certain amount of books/TV shows/movies. Not too dissimilar from a cell phone carrier really. Avid media consumers would probably jump on it if they buy all that stuff anyway.

And as they offer all that free stuff with Amazon Prime, I wouldn't be surprised if they included that as a freebie to induce people to buy it.

Their main downfall would be offering a poorly performing set of hardware, but hopefully they have a good idea what works and what doesn't. With whatever added incentives Amazon would throw in there, it would probably not have to rely on specs alone to attract viewers as do other products. They have a real winner with the Kindle, they just need to make sure they don't sully their reputation.
  3. mosu

mosu TS Enthusiast Posts: 303

I would be surprised if it will cost more than 500, think 499.99, under 10 inch and with dual core Samsung processor, not Tegra.And with great connectivity.
  4. Should I buy a tablet or should I buy a Kindle?
    That was the question I was struggling with recently.
    I guess this news has answered my question. :)
  5. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

Agreed. Amazon is uniquely positioned to kick some *** in the tablet market. Smart move, esp. as gwailo mentions, if they offer free prime or expanded cloud storage.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.