Rumor: Samsung to introduce Galaxy S III at Unpacked event in May

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A new image making the rounds today claiming to be the new Samsung Galaxy S III is getting a lot of attention, not so much because of the image itself but rather a reminder displayed on the phone’s screen. May 22, 2012 is now being pegged by many as the day that Samsung will introduce the third generation Galaxy S smartphone at an Unpacked event that could be held in London.

The image was uploaded by a Reddit user and is supposedly a photo of a presentation slide by Weber Shandwick, a global PR firm that has represented Samsung on previous occasions. The image shows some pretty radical design elements including a dedicated camera shutter button on the right side and an Apple-esque physical home button.

samsung galaxy iii samsung galaxy s iii launch date

The general consensus from Reddit users is that the image is fake, but the Samsung Unpacked event on May 22 could very well be a reality. The timing would make sense as it’s unlike that Apple will have announced the next generation iPhone before this point and we suspect Samsung wouldn’t want to launch in the same timeframe as Apple’s new phone.

samsung galaxy iii samsung galaxy s iii launch date

Yet another (and perhaps more believable) photo from Reddit shows a device that doesn’t look anything like the one in the presentation. This member claims a friend that works at Samsung sent him the photo (admitting it was taken from a computer screen). Specifications bundled with this “leaked” photo include a quad-core Exynos 4412 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 12MP rear camera, a 4.7-inch Super Amoled Plus HD screen and a 2250 mAh battery.

Permalink to story.

finally putting enough RAM in these things. thats the biggest problem with any system that would rather "suspend" a process than kill it as well as have a subpar task manager. Android i love you, and its about time that the phones can handle you correctly

about quad cores being pointless. someone once said no one will ever need more than 640 KB of memory. Thanks Bill.

Guest said:
about quad cores being pointless. someone once said no one will ever need more than 640 KB of memory. Thanks Bill.

okay, point received...

let me rephrase my point.

I hear that quad cores in TODAY'S phones are pointless.... now, I see that there would be great improvement over this in years to come... but to jump on the bandwagon for this new quad core phone... the android system wont really utilize all 4 cores...

Just saying, this is what i've heard... no proof or facts here.

4.7 inches no mames why? for a gorillas hand? 4.5 its a really big limit, and maybe can be usable if the phone has no edges, no buttons only the screen ....but 4.7? that size can ditch a lot of users

quad core in same price point wont hurt. I dont believe they use more power . New Tegra 3 chips one extra core for only power management . They should be more efficient years to come and should handle more threads

Guest said:

That has been proven to be a false rumor. Bill didn't say that.

Bill Gates Said:
"I've said some stupid things and some wrong things, but not that. No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time."

i hear the quad core is pointless....
By who? The CEO of Nokia? That's a laugh.

About the only time I can ever think of where the hardware was even remotely over provisioned was the release of the PS3 and there were plenty of people who worked out what to do with it regardless!

If you have a quad core, you can do things that you need a quad core for. If you don't have a quad core, you can't even try.

And forget Bill... if anyone says xGB ram is too much, same argument applies. You can't even try to move forward to an application that *can* use that ram if you don't have it! That's just plain stupid.

The hardware *MUST* lead the software! It can't go the other way around.

Love the thin bezeless design alot like their new led tvs. Was hoping for a 1920 x 1080p screen but looks like that wont happen this year now. Very happy I traded in my Iphone 4 for a Galaxy Note 5.3 inch screen, much better and 4G speed over Iphones 3G is alot more speed and the screen is amazing 1280 x 800 res videos are like watching my LED tvs at home.

"The image shows some pretty radical design elements including a dedicated camera shutter button on the right side and an Apple-esque physical home button."

The current S2 has a physical home button, what makes it Apple-esque? Did they invent the concept?? :suspiciou

"The current S2 has a physical home button, what makes it Apple-esque? Did they invent the concept?? s:"

and my Galaxy S1 i9000... but then again apple owns the color black

That may be true for the average user. If you have rooted your phone and have apps that heavily utilize the CPU(s), quad cores are going to be very welcome.

P.S. Nice hearing from you again, trillionsin. Hope all is well.

Back