Rumor: Samsung to launch Galaxy Tab 11.6 tablet in February

Leeky

It's been an interesting year for Samsung, marked by ongoing court battles worldwide with Apple over similarities in its Galaxy range of smartphones and tablets to iPhone and iPad products. The South Korean firm even had to revise its Galaxy Tab 10.1 design in Germany hoping to sidestep a sales ban in that country.

Now, news is beginning to emerge that Samsung might in fact beat Apple at its own game by releasing a retina-display tablet first. According to an exclusive by BGR, trusted sources have revealed Samsung plans to launch the Galaxy Tab 11.6 tablet at the Mobile World Congress in February 2012.

The rumored tablet is said to feature a 11.6-inch retina display with an eye-popping 2560x1600 pixel resolution, a 16:10 aspect ratio, and despite the bigger screen it will reportedly be only "barely larger" than the current Galaxy Tab 10.1 model thanks to a thinner bezel design.

It will be one of the first Samsung devices to utilize the recently announced Exynos 5250 dual core processor clocked at 2.0GHz, and taking full advantage of that hardware prowess will be Android's 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich mobile operating system. Other things like internal storage or connectivity were not detailed, but it is likely the new tablet will continue on from where the Galaxy Tab 10.1 left off in terms of features.

Two particular functions mentioned in the report included Android beam, which will enable easy synchronizing of media with the Galaxy Nexus smartphone through Near Field Communications (NFC), and a wireless docking mode that will compete with Apple TV, AirPlay and more. Samsung declined to comment on the rumors.

Permalink to story.

Sweet!
If only it wouldn't be so expensive and I had the money.

HD is relative to RESOLUTION, Standard Definition being 480i (vertical pixels) ie. 720 x "480".
HD is over-glorified, with higher resolutions, ie. 2560 x 1600, poised to HD what HD did to SD.
So if HD is anything higher than Standard Definition ( > 720x480) then what would that make 2560x1600, a resolution higher than you eye can distinguish?
RETINA DISPLAY > HD > SD.

That is an insane res.... i like it.

But, a more narrow bezel? No... You see, the great thing about being human is we have opposable thumbs, so we can hold thin objects easily. If the bezel is too narrow we won't be able to hold the damn thing properly without our thumb constantly tapping the touchscreen on the edges. You really need a good inch of dead space all the way around for a tablet. Smart phones don't need this dead space because you can hold the entire thing within the size of your hand.

remember, this is just a rumour. I won't hold my breathe as quite a bit of it doesn't make any sense.

Great job if Samsung beats iPad 3 to the punch with a 2560x1600 display.

Either way we are seeing great innovation in smartphone and tablet screens, while LCD screens are stuck at 1080P unless you feel like dropping $700-1200+ for a 2560x1440 / 2560x1600 monitor.

In a world where you can buy a $1000 58-60 inch Plasma TV with build-in media streaming capabilities, and so on, we still have to pay > $1000 for a 30 inch 2560x1600 LCD/LED Screen on the PC.

Rip-off. Sad.

This is exciting, but I think that it is too much and I worry about battery power and portability.

Also, it would be nice if some of these companies make their device play nicer with standards, not jsut with their own formats. I for one, am less likely to buy from them becuase I cannot use any of the cool abilities that could have been standard.

It's ok to make sure their device does extra cool things unseen with their products, but a device is more valuable when it can play with other device that support open standards. The extra is the innovation. We already have DLNA, make you device more useful 1st. It would be more valuable to me if I could enjoy these fatures without buying all your products right now. Be brave!

By now, tablets should all have these features if the go for more than 350. Not everyone can be Apple... (talking to you Sony and Samsung) so stop trying to be Apple before you prove yourself to be as good.

First thing again, is to make your device very useful for all. One step in that direction is make sure I can integrate your product into my current tech. If I don't ever get to use these extra features I will not know that I can get a better experience with all of your device. Hook me first. Otherwise, it is very unlikely I have all Samsug products in my home. I'm sure some customers like this exist, but I'm extremely sure that is a very small market to go after if Samsung wants to increase sales.

I'm very excited because of it. The Brand New Galaxy Tab which called 11.6 makes me very happy. I'll wait for and I must buy it.

Go Samsung!

Back