TechSpot

Rumor: Samsung to offer a dual-core 2GHz smartphone in 2012

By Emil
Apr 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung Electronics, South Korea's largest electronics manufacturer, is reportedly working on the next big milestone in the smartphone gigahertz race: 2GHz per core. Such processors will narrow the gap between smartphones and desktop PCs, according to Samsung, at least in terms of raw processing power. ARM already has a dual-core Cortex-A9 design capable of such speeds, and we wouldn't be surprised if this is what Samsung is using for the basis of its new processor designs.

Read the whole story

2. Wow... a rumor, of what would be natural progression. Did any doubt that this would eventually be the next step ?

3. Siavash

Siavash TS Member Posts: 48   +12

Good news, this will encourage more game developers in near future to create some serious games for smart phones.

4. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Do we really need a 2GHz CPU in our mobile phone to eat up battery life? Will it lower speed under a light computing load? I know this is just a rumor... but I'm more interested in improving multitasking in relation to battery life than raw computing performance as most of my mobile small screen apps will be about info reference, communications, and light casual diversions. I'm not ready to run SETI in Pocket...

5. tacobfm

tacobfm TS Rookie Posts: 59

6. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

At this point battery does need to be the main objective

7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I overclocked my Palm Pre to 1 Ghz, which made apps open really quickly, but at the same time I could actually watch the battery life percentage go down in front of my eyes.

The more you use your phone as a computer, the less it serves to fulfill its main function which is a wireless phone. While I love surfing the web, checking e-mail, playing games, I also have to carry a charger around in my backpack if I'm gonna be out of the house for more than 6 hours.

8. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

Yes, the battery technology needs to progress. Or instead of cramming more features into phones, the next time they scale circuitry and processors down, scale the batteries up. Larger cells and more capacity please!

9. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

It kinda sound like Tesla ........ Arris, lots of batteries but not much range, so I am not sure they will contain enough juice to power that 2GHz for 'reasonably significant amount of time'.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.