Rumor smash: Google not launching Google Circles

Emil

Staff

This weekend, ReadWriteWeb posted an article titled "Google to Launch Major New Social Network Called Circles, Possibly Today" that had detailed look about a supposedly new social network that would offer photo, video, and status message sharing. The report, which went into quite a bit of detail about the product, said Google would likely unveil it in some form at South by Southwest Interactive today.

This news was quickly followed by a report from All Things Digital titled "False Alarm: Google Circles Not Coming Now–and Probably Not Ever." At this point, Google said that it was not launching anything this week at the event in Austin, Texas and that such a product was not even under development, according to the people supposedly developing it.

All of this was posted not too long after a rumor started that Google would be launching its Facebook killer in two months. Frankly, we think Mountain View was planning on showing something off this week but either changed its mind, or decided to show something slightly different.

Regardless of what Google ends up doing this week, here's what we believe is happening. First of all, Google is definitely working on its own social network, or at least a social layer for its various products and services, in some shape or form. Whether this will launch or not, and when, is another story. Second of all, the company definitely has more than one project name for its various attempts, including Google Me, Google Circles, and many more we have yet to hear of, and maybe never will.

Permalink to story.

stewi0001 said:
If I was a betting I would put money on that they are working on a social network thing of their own.
Im sure that is what the article i
is about, actually.

Google would be the last social network that I would join. They have enough information about me already...

Guest said:
Google would be the last social network that I would join. They have enough information about me already...

Oh give me a ****ing break. Facebook harvests MUCH MORE information than google does.

Princeton said:
Oh give me a ****ing break. Facebook harvests MUCH MORE information than google does.

Rather than accept the reality, Facebook users have pretty much shut that part of their Facebook experience out of their minds.

Considering how much Facebook's IPO value is growing, that data appears to be very valuable, and there sure must be a lot of it.

Princeton said:
Guest said:

Ya but then it will basically be the same info from facebook + the info Google already has. His concern is valid.

Back