Rumor: Stripped down iPad mini could be coming early 2012

By Jos
Oct 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. With Amazon's Kindle Fire already set to dominate the budget end of the tablet market, Apple could be looking to compete with a "mini" version of its iconic iPad. It…

Read the whole story
  2. And they can call it, an iPod touch.
  3. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

I definitely see Apple releasing a "stripped down" iPad at a ~$300 price. And as the article said, I'm certain that if they do it will be the same size.
  4. MMDominator88

MMDominator88 Newcomer, in training Posts: 152

I can't wait till the Kindle Fire gets rooted and we can unleash its true potential :)
  5. stewi0001

stewi0001 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 276   +6

second that lol!
  6. Here we go again with the build up to another Apple launch...be careful not to disappoint...
  7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Since Apple prides itself on releasing one item with an optimized experience for that one item, how is a stripped down version going to work? They can take out cameras and GPSs and what not, but it it doesn't run the software as fast as other iPads, people will not be happy.
  8. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,446   +269

I'm not too sure. Maybe things will change at Apple in the coming years but up until now they've mostly dedicated to offer premium products where margins are high. The only exception I can think of in recent years are iPods.
  9. DokkRokken

DokkRokken Newcomer, in training Posts: 275

A move like this would 'cheapen' the brand and it'd lose its 'exclusivity.' Not to mention the fanbase would have a fit because anyone who doesn't shop at American Apparel could afford one.
  10. DokkRokken, you are absolutely correct.
  11. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I still think they might put out a 7" tablet at that price. Jobs was the one who said he'll NEVER put out a tablet. Now that he's gone, they can go ahead and do it. A 10" tablet for $200 would be nice, but as people have pointed out, there would be no profit margin, and then everyone would buy one, and that would lessen the conspicuous consumption aspect of buying an Apple product in the first place.
  12. GameJunkie72792

GameJunkie72792 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 357

Apple doesn't need to compete will Amazon. They have their market, they have their faithfuls.

Why make the brand seem cheap? It's Apple, it's expensive.

I will lose a little faith in Apple if they come out with a cheaper iPad.

I don't own one, I use an Android tablet, but I own several Macs and would hate to see them jump down just to compete.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.