Rumor: Windows 8 Milestone 2 has been compiled

Emil

Staff

Windows 8 may have already passed Milestone 2, according to the Russian forum Winreview. Microsoft is thus currently working on Windows 8 Milestone 3, which will likely be compiled in the next few months. For those following the build numbers, builds 78XX are reportedly under the Windows 8 Milestone 1 branch while builds 79XX are under Windows 8 Milestone 2:

Windows 7 Post-RTM: 6.1.77xx.0.winmain.xxxxxx-xxxx
Windows 8 Milestone 1: ?6.2.78xx.0.winmain_win8m1.xxxxxx-xxxx
Windows 8 Milestone 2: 6.2.79xx.0.winmain_win8m2.xxxxxx-xxxx

Microsoft is working hard on the successor to Windows 7, but the operating system is still in very early in development. The software giant hasn't even announced Windows 8 yet, though we do know it is coming sometime next year. All that we currently have to go on are rumors and leaks.

Leaked documents have mentioned support for USB 3.0, Bluetooth 3.0, facial recognition, stereoscopic 3D, instant on booting, HID, accelerometers, proximity sensors, hard drive encryption, GPS integration, as well as a strong focus on boot time, shut down time, and battery life. Rumors have included two user interfaces, a renewed push in PC gaming, and a sneak peek at CES 2011.

Permalink to story.

I'm interested in seeing how they intend to make windows 8 gaming focused, though I have a feeling I will be severely disappointed.

I will most likely not be buying anything after 7. I never liked the feel of XP and I upgraded from vista because, well, it sucked. If they are going to make DX12 a windows 8 only thing then I'm sure I wont buy it. I already have W7 ultimate, why would I shell out more money for almost the same thing just different looks?

I think it should be 6-10 years for the life of an operating system. I didn't really like XP, but there was nothing wrong with it. Just look at how long that lasted and people still use it as their preferred operating system. MS is trying to push too much too quickly. I'm glad that 7 came out so soon after vista(I have been using 7 since the beta), but we don't W8 to be an ME3, do we?

I certainly won't be buying Win 8 straight away when it comes out. I've got this vision in my mind of MS employees, frantically bashing away at their computers, trying to get their work done as quick as possible.

Nah, It's still way too soon for another OS (or rather "another wallet execution event" as i call it). i can see my being fine with 7 for a good few years yet.

@yRaz:
"Leaked documents have mentioned support for USB 3.0, Bluetooth 3.0, facial recognition, stereoscopic 3D, instant on booting, HID, accelerometers, proximity sensors, hard drive encryption, GPS integration, as well as a strong focus on boot time, shut down time, and battery life."

I'd say that's a little more than "almost the same thing just different looks". I would ask why MS just can't add those features into a service pack, but I have no idea how programing an OS works, lol.

I haven't gotten around to buying Windows 7 yet (first, I need to throw out this 6 year old computer) so I won't have to worry about the "but I just bought Windows 7" factor. If MS does plan on more releases in shorter time frames, they are going to have to start lowering their prices. Although I highly doubt that'll happen until they realize their product isn't selling well because people don't want to shell out $100 or more every 2 or 3 years for an OS. Only time will tell. Until then, it's all speculation about what will happen.

If the release of 7 is any indication, then 8 should be released in beta form as well.

So like with Windows 7, people will have a chance to try it out for free, and then decide if they want to buy it. I hadn't bought an OS since DOS 6.22, but after trying the beta of 7 for a few months, I pre-ordered it.

If everything goes the same as with 7, then there won't be need for idle speculation when you can just try out 8 yourself and make up your mind.

Nah, It's still way too soon for another OS (or rather "another wallet execution event" as i call it). i can see my being fine with 7 for a good few years yet.

That pretty much sums up my feelings regarding W8.

Unless I can get a student version, or I "have" to upgrade, I won't be doing so, I spent enough on W7 licenses to upgrade all my computers this time around. I only tend to do it every 2-3 OS releases, the last time I upgraded prior to W7 was XP.

That pretty much sums up my feelings regarding W8.

Unless I can get a student version, or I "have" to upgrade, I won't be doing so, I spent enough on W7 licenses to upgrade all my computers this time around. I only tend to do it every 2-3 OS releases, the last time I upgraded prior to W7 was XP.

Yeah, them student deals wern't too shabby to be honest. Let's see, support ends for 7 ultimate in 2015 (i think)...That will probably be just about the right time to give a little upgrade a go i think...Then again, MS might have to extend that date like they did with XP, so maybe there's a few more years than that.

You actually managed to avoid Windows Vista?....Damn, i better get a cloth to wipe this egg of my face :haha:

Admittedly, I have several computers purchased with Windows Vista, but having used the first computer I purchased that shipped with it, I then downgraded to XP Professional on each one thereafter. Even my current PC in its original form shipped with Vista Professional edition.

I think I actually purchased like 6-7 computers (plus the MSI from here), that all came with it. I can't stand that OS to be honest - XP Pro or W7 are both considerably better in my eyes. Especially with the MSI, which has a difference of night and day between Vista H.P. and Linux in terms of performance, though under linux I seem to lose around an hour of the approx 8 hour battery life - perfectly liveable really.

These days though, nothing actually runs XP anymore; which is a shame as I have 8 licenses for them! :haha:

yRaz said:
I will most likely not be buying anything after 7. I never liked the feel of XP and I upgraded from vista because, well, it sucked. If they are going to make DX12 a windows 8 only thing then I'm sure I wont buy it. I already have W7 ultimate, why would I shell out more money for almost the same thing just different looks?

I think it should be 6-10 years for the life of an operating system. I didn't really like XP, but there was nothing wrong with it. Just look at how long that lasted and people still use it as their preferred operating system. MS is trying to push too much too quickly. I'm glad that 7 came out so soon after vista(I have been using 7 since the beta), but we don't W8 to be an ME3, do we?

Last thing techies need are fewer products. I'm glad everything you said will be ignored and life will go on. Windows 8 here i come.

Edit 1:
People set against every new Windows OS is getting old. Vista made me go back to XP. Vista w/SP1 made me forget about XP forever. No one is forcing you to upgrade, but is it wise to bad mouth an unreleased product in a public forum? We all know the people out there that said Vista sucked, yet never even tried it, all because they "heard" it sucked. I loved Vista w/SP1. And I make love to W7 daily. My SSD certainly thanks W7, so does my DX11 video card. I see no reason to hold off, if the W8 reviews are on par with W7. Otherwise you're just saying you can't afford it, by "predicting" how much it will "suck."

Techspot is a tech site. Seems very silly to write off tech not even released yet. Hard to imagine reading a tech site, but hating tech. Thankfully you are not the majority.

Bottom line: If YOU don't have any interest in it, then don't buy it. But for pete's sake, don't try to bad mouth it, because others are listening to you, and they just may miss out on something great, because a "techie" said it was bad!

I love you TECHspot!!!

EDIT2:
yRaz said:

WE?! You sure as heck ain't speaking for me. Last thing techies need are fewer products. I'm glad everything you said will be ignored and life will go on. Windows 8 here i come.

Edit3:
6-10 years, yRaz?! Um, XP has suppport until 2014. 13 years after it released. I think you are confused. Just because MS releases something, doesn't mean you have to buy it. That is exactly how you come across, and its sad. Very untechie-like.

People are allowed opinions though, as this forum is also for the discussion of technology, and peoples thoughts of it thereof.

I would imagine that most people are offering their opinion based on personal experience rather than hearsay as well, especially on this site, though I can't comment for others online.

Windows Vista was in large part a let down when compared to Windows XP, and the latest Windows 7 OS'. I wouldn't say its a witch-hunt of sorts when the words spoken are true and honest.

At the end of the day, Microsoft have a lot of work to do to justify one retail license when it is essentially 25% of the cost of an average computer.

P.S. Jurassic4096; please use the edit button rather than creating multiple posts in a row.

I can't stand that OS to be honest - XP Pro or W7 are both considerably better in my eyes.

Oh, without a doubt i'd agree with you there...Actually, i think most people would agree with that. Vista will always be viewed as the "Early Windows 7, extreamly crap and slow version". Exept Inkball, that was ace :D

Leeky said:
At the end of the day, Microsoft have a lot of work to do to justify one retail license when it is essentially 25% of the cost of an average computer.

Ya'know, i'd really love to hear the explination from a top brass, as to why the prices really are so bloody high.

I'm purchasing a new Windows 7 PC in March and now I hear that Windows 8 is coming out in 2012? Oh well. As long as I have the Intel Core i7 2600 CPU, then I should be fine with the current version for at least the next five years or so.

I like Windows 7 more than any previous version, so I hope Windows 8 doesn’t take any steps backwards obviously. And I am super pumped for Windows 8.
I think MS should make it cheaper as well.

Back