Rumor: Xbox 360 to get Comcast, Verizon Fios live TV

Jos

Staff

Microsoft is reportedly in talks with Comcast and Verizon to bring in content for its upcoming Xbox 360 live television service. According to a report from Digiday, citing anonymous sources, the deal would allow Xbox 360 owners to sign up for the cable providers' services and watch their programming from Microsoft's game console. If everything goes according to plans the company could make the partnership official "within a month" or so.

The Redmond-based company first announced that a live TV service would be coming to the Xbox at E3 in June. Although not many details were shared at the time, Microsoft did say that it would "partner with TV providers" for its offering, which would include local channels, news, sports, and more.

So far they've already launched a partnership with AT&T for their U-verse TV service -- though that requires a separate device as a primary receiver. Partnering with Comcast and Verizon could accelerate their move into users' living rooms as Microsoft battles it out with Roku, Boxee, Apple TV and various Google TV enabled devices.

Commenting on the rumors a Microsoft rep said, "As we announced at E3, we are committed to bringing TV entertainment to Xbox around the world through partnerships with industry leading operator and content partners. We look forward to sharing more partner news in the near future, but we have nothing to announce at this time."

In addition to the Comcast and Verizon Fios tie-ins, talks are supposedly ongoing with television manufacturer Samsung to build some sort of Window Live gaming hub into the manufacturer's TVs.

Permalink to story.

Kinect as a TV controller appeals to me more than as a game controller. (Where is my d*** remote, anyway?)

However they need to find a way to output at least 1080i for me to adopt it.

What fascinates me most about this article is the one that it precedes -- the one that talks about Apple's "custromer satisfaction" quotient.

If Microsoft does indeed ink this deal, then satisfaction won't matter so much. Because Microsoft and Comcast will be rolling in so much dough that they'll be able to afford ignoring Apple forever.

Comcast is such a joke...the 'evil corporation' poster child just bleeding its customers while all the time reducing services/features and increasing rates.

Back